Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

One Beep or two beeps, black screen with flashing cursor

• Please log in to reply

Kenny1985

Kenny1985

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, yesterday I was clearing viruses out of a computer for a customer of mine and at some point I was prompted but windows installer to allow a program to open. I anticipated it was malware and expected my protection programs to handle it. Suddenly, the screen went black with a flashing cursor amd two beeps. I restarted multiple times for the same result. The pc tower was very dusty so i thought it might've over heated. I let it sit for a few hours and cool off, opened and cleaned the inside part by part. It still started up with the two beeps and blank screen. I read another thread where the person had similar issues and tries the same methods suggested to him.

I used Linux Puppy as a system boot and that went smoothly so I know it wasnt my hardware - ram or motherboard. Then, I used a highly recommended memtest program and got no errors. I put in new ram from my personal pc and it wouldnt boot. I hooked the customers hard drive to my computter and it started, but attempted to go into an OS recovery. It kept rebooting though. So, I did a lot of trouble shooting and through a process of elimination want to focus on the hard drive being damaged from possibly over heating or corrupted from the viruses.

What are my options for looking into repairing or salvaging the hard drive? It's an Acer Aspire desktop with Vista - no back up disk was made prior to it being brought to me.

Advertisements