Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

running a secure computer with windows 7

• Please log in to reply

pabadger

pabadger

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hello,
About a year ago, I got a new HP computer that runs Win7. Currently I use paid Webroot Antivirus with Spysweeper as my main security program and recently have installed Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Spywareblaster. I use windows firewall as my firewall. I use Firefox with WOT and Adblock plus. I have 2 questions:

1) When I enabled Spywareblaster's protection for IE and Firefox, there was a third checkbox called "restricted sites." When I checked the "restricted sites" box, I was warned by Webroot that an “IE Security Zone is being changed on you computer.” Should I allow this? My hunch is yes, but I also thought there might be some sort of conflict with Webroot or that that Webroot might do the same thing as Spywareblaster.
2) Should I be doing anything else?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
No, you are doing more than enough. I run with just MSE and Windows Firewall. Note that Firefox is no longer better for security. IE9 continues to shine in that respect. That said, if you keep your computer fully updated, your real-time antimalware solution current, and you avoid risky behavior like illegal filesharing via torrents or P2P sites, your choice of browsers is just that, your choice.

pabadger

pabadger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Thanks for the prompt response.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
You are welcome.

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP

warned by Webroot that an “IE Security Zone is being changed on you computer.” Should I allow this? My hunch is yes

Allow this!
spywareblaster.jpg