Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Speakers making random thumps.

• Please log in to reply

Aukake

Aukake

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
Every once in awhile my speakers will make random thump, clicks, thud sounds and it gets annoying. Not sure what happened. When im playing a game or watching a youtube video. the click turns off the sound for a sec then when it clicks again the sound comes back. or it will raise really or then normalize again.

Edited by Aukake, 23 November 2011 - 10:47 AM.

Advertisements

Road Runner

Road Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Aukake,
There are many things that could cause the behavior you are describing.
Most likely you will have to go through a troubleshooting "process of elimination" to find the actual cause.
I don't know what kind of speakers you have but here is something to try.
If they are powered, ie: have an on / off switch or a power cord that plugs into a wall outlet I would simply turn them on and off and see if you hear the same thump or noise you have described.
Most audio equipment has a turn on / off thump when you apply or remove power.
If that is the sound you hear then try moving the power cable around a bit, with the speakers on and see if you can recreate the sound. Look for signs of damage on the power cable. Pets LOVE to chew on cables :)
If there is a connector where the power plugs into the speaker try moving it around a bit. Those connectors are known to wear and just the slightest movement can make you turn on and off for just a moment.

There are many here who are much better qualified to help you with Soundcard and Software issues that may be causing your problem as well . However I have 20 plus years experience with loose and damaged power and audio cables :)

Last thing...if you have access to another set of speakers....try them. If you still have the problem it is pretty safe to say you have a problem on the computer side...... if not , well it looks like time to go get another set unless you want to break out a soldering iron and test meter. (Not really worth it in most cases ).

RR