Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Syswow64virus found by OTL [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Jan1959

Jan1959

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
I can do a factory reset if you feel that is the only answer but I do have quite a bit of data on the laptop. I had a problem a couple of months ago where it couldn't update the first Service pack for Windows 7, I contacted the manufacturer as the laptop was only 2 months old then and they advised me to do a factory reset. It cured the problem until now but if you think that I need to do it again I am now wondering if I have purchased a duff machine. What do you think?

PS sorry for the late response - granddaughter's 1st birthday! :)

Edited by Jan1959, 30 November 2011 - 04:34 PM.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Appy Birfday to the Granddaughter :lol:

It does have the appearance of a dodgy system as my system has had windows 7 installed since it first came out and I have had no problems at all

Jan1959

Jan1959

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
I am beginning to think that you have guessed that I originally came from Southend! :lol: Thank you for the 'Appy Birfday' message!
I think that I will contact Toshiba again tomorrow and see what they say. I've never had any problems with their laptops before (apart from a wine incident on a previous model :upset:)
I will let you know what they say tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help and support - you have made me chuckle

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Ah Sarfend I used to go there regularly in my youth - to the Kursal even. Just a quick train ride and I was there, or on the back of my brother-in-laws Triumph T90 :rofl: Obviously a misspent youth somewhere

Jan1959

Jan1959

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
I remember the Kursal so well, I saw Slade there but you are probably too young to remember them! I even worked at the end of Sarfend pier for a while but that's another story! :lol:

I phoned Toshiba yesterday and I was told that it wasn't their problem as it was software and not hardware. Microsoft say that as Windows 7 was pre-installed it is the manufacturer's problem. Having got absolutely nowhere, I used many Roots Hall expressions and decided to bit the bullet and put the laptop back to factory settings. It seems to be okay atm so I will see how it goes....

Thank you so much for all your help, not only your expertise but you have also made me laugh instead of just wanting to throw my laptop out of the nearest window!

You're a star, thanks again! :thumbsup:

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
My Pleasure Jan but alas I am old enough to remember Slade. I was a wannabe Rocker :rofl:

Jan1959

Jan1959

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Cheers and thanks again, look out for my next problem when/if it happens! :lol:

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.