Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tasktray application failure

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
1, WMD
You should have an icon in the taskbar

You can also find the test results report in the System Event Log under the Source name MemoryDiagnosticsResults and Event ID 1201.

2. Re the error report
Go Control Panel
Administrative tools
RIGHT click the Services
Click Run as Adminstrator
Scroll to PRINT SPOOLER
Right click, click properties
STOP the service.
DO NOT change the start type. It should be automatic.
Click Apply and OK -
Ensure you did receive the message that the service was stopped.

Now go Computer, open C drive
Open windows
go to
system32 open that
SPOOL folder open it
PRINTERS open it.

What files are in that folder please.
PRINTERS

If there are none - go back to services and START the Print Spooler service.

Advertisements

bike vault

bike vault

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Here we go then, log below:

A couple of issues have occurred to me since we've been going thru' this.

Firstly the device errors were re a portable device - i plugged an old Archo 504 into the usb port last week before ebaying it. this is around about when the issues started occurring.

also, i livened up dropbox this am and about 30 minutes later everything froze.

i've had no issues with dropbox before so that may be a coincidence.

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-MemoryDiagnostics-Results
Date: 26/11/2011 08:33:55
Event ID: 1201
Task Category: None
Level: Information
Keywords:
User: SYSTEM
Computer: harrisons-new
Description:
The Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool tested the computer's memory and detected no errors
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.micro.../events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-MemoryDiagnostics-Results" Guid="{5f92bc59-248f-4111-86a9-e393e12c6139}" />
<EventID>1201</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>4</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-11-26T08:33:55.652Z" />
<EventRecordID>307684</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="3796" ThreadID="3800" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>harrisons-new</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<UserData>
<Results xmlns:auto-ns2="http://schemas.micro...2004/08/events" xmlns="http://manifests.mic...stboot/Events">
<CompletionType>Pass</CompletionType>
</Results>
</UserData>
</Event>

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well there are, on that test no memory issues as you know.
There are no file issues or bad sectors on the hard drive

Please follow the last re Spooler as that appears to be the possible answer to the error in your previous post.

Please look at post 4 and 5.
Please then tell me exactly what on those posts you did.
I am NOT, it is important to stress, suggesting, for one moment of time that anything has been recommended that is WRONG.
I would just like confirmation of what on the mentioned posts you actually did.

bike vault

bike vault

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Okay, printspooler routine had nothing in printers directory and service restarted.

re earlier posts from rockmilk at 11:12 and 11:30:
ccleaner all done okay.left logmein running i think; either way its back in the systray as i use it often.

google update helper i couln't see how to uninstall.
norton bit ran fine.
rapport i left

oldtimer hang first time but also ran okay after a reboot.

11:30 bit all done no problems.

Re your bit in BOLD you guys are great and i have nothing but praise; if any routine should be run unnecessarily i realise it would have only been done so for the right reasons..

the reasons being to get me out of the s**t!

i do wonder about the portable device issue; i also have the 'safely remove hardware' icon in the systray so there maybe a link.

Cheers,
Simon

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
  • Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso VEW and save it to your Desktop:
  • Double-click VEW.exe
  • Under 'Select log to query', select (as appropriate):
    • Application ON THIS RUN select this please
    • System
  • Under 'Select type to list', select
    • Error SELECT THIS ONLY PLEASE on this run
    • Information
    • Warning
Then use the 'Date of events' or 'Number of events' as follows:

Either: BUT ON THIS OCCASION PLEASE USE THE DATE system
  • Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
    Type 3 in the 1 to 20 box (or any number from 1 to 20)
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.
  • Click the radio button for 'Date of events'
    In the From: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) PLEASE enter a date when you know there have been the errors - say three days ago
    In the To: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 26 11 2011
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.
Please post the Output log in your next reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I have started a new post, so that it is easier for you to follow.
Would you please at a convenient time, after running the program in my post 20 and do this please.
RUN MEMTEST
This is a link to a comprehensive guide
http://www.geekstogo...sing-memtest86/

Although the guide has the link to the download of Memtest - HERE is the one you want.
http://www.memtest.o...6+-4.20.iso.zip

Memtest runs tests on the ram in a number of ways and you should let it run, to complete the eight tests of one whole cycle.

This is explained in the guide., but to assist see below. There is an image in the guide.

On the top right of the screen when Memtest starts youwill see Pass and a % that is the pass of the current test.

Then the next entry is Test you will also see a % that is the percentage run of the current test.

The next line is again Test but this time there is no percentage and that is the number of that test being run. This is where you should let it run until number 8

The 8 complete tests do take sometime, and you may wish to choose your most convenient time, as Windows will not be running, you may safely leave it overnight if you wish. (there should be no risk of a hang, without windows running.

The reason I would like you to do that is Memtest places the ram under maximum demand conditions and is considered by many as a vital confirmation to Windows Memory Diagnostic.

SEND me please full make and model if branded.
If a laptop and you leave memtest running overnight, you seem knowledgeable, so do not be annoyed by the advice - On mains power and ensuring adequate cooling.

bike vault

bike vault

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hi Macboatmaster,

Here is the log..

Vino's Event Viewer v01c run on Windows Vista in English
Report run at 26/11/2011 23:06:34

Note: All dates below are in the format dd/mm/yyyy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'Application' Log - Error Type
Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 20/11/2011 20:52:45
Type: Error Category: 0
Event: 10 Source: Microsoft-Windows-WMI
Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 20/11/2011 18:15:15
Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 20/11/2011 17:54:29

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 20/11/2011 17:26:21

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 20/11/2011 17:26:18
Event: 8209 Source: System Restore
An unspecified error occurred during System Restore: (Scheduled Checkpoint). Additional information: .

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 20/11/2011 16:58:39

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 20/11/2011 13:11:03

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 20/11/2011 13:02:11
Type: Error Category: 100
Event: 1000 Source: Application Error
Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 9.0.8112.16421, time stamp 0x4d76255d, faulting module GoogleDesktopCommon.dll, version 5.9.1005.12335, time stamp 0x4beaf2a2, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00018e1e, process id 0x1430, application start time 0x01cca7849d2dfa2a.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 20/11/2011 12:53:10

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 20/11/2011 11:42:59
Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 9.0.8112.16421, time stamp 0x4d76255d, faulting module MSHTML.dll, version 9.0.8112.16437, time stamp 0x4e5eef87, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x000624e1, process id 0x11c8, application start time 0x01cca7770ed921f2.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 20/11/2011 11:14:02

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 20/11/2011 09:06:39

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 20/11/2011 00:32:38

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 19/11/2011 16:44:20

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 19/11/2011 08:51:55
Type: Error Category: 101
Event: 1002 Source: Application Hang
The program OUTLOOK.EXE version 11.0.8326.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Problem Reports and Solutions control panel. Process ID: 10f4 Start Time: 01cca697b865dcb3 Termination Time: 33268

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 19/11/2011 08:28:56

bike vault

bike vault

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hi again,

Okay i haven't got any media to create a boot disk although i do have the file extracted on my desktop.

is this vital with the lack of media?

my pc is a fujitsu siemens amilo intel quad q8200 2.34ghz, 4gb ram, vista 32bit sp2.

thanks again for your efforts; i sense this is becoming a challenge! :-)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Those logs are from the 19 to 20 Nov . Please send me the logs from the 22 Nov to today using the same configuration. - except the dates.

In the past there have been many reports of your symptoms being attributable to a ram fault, although not always.
I would be happier if you could run Memtest when you can obtain a writeable CD.
I am sure it is obvious but you do not have to make it on this computer of course. - sorry if that is insulting.

FULL model number please of that Amilo

Is this your computer

Fujitsu Amilo Pi 3745 Tower PC - just realised you said DESKTOP

As it is a desktop, please open the case, if you have not done so for sometime.
Shut down of course and disconnect all cables.

Before you touch any part of any component in the case that is electronic, ie motherboard, ram etc, take hold of the BEAR metal inside of the case with both hands. This will ground any static in your body.

Examine carefully please all fans - case fans and the CPU fan - if there is any appreciable build up of dust, then VERY gentlly with a SOFT CEAN BRUSH, dislodge it, you may use an air-duster spray but DO NO allow that to spin the fan blades as the high speed can destroy the fan bearing bush.

Pay particular attention to the CPU cooling fins and fan.

If you feel able and following the guide in the Memtest link - How to run Memtest, you can check the memory physcially.
This is better than ANY test program.
However it requires planning.

This may help
However basically the way to go about it is this
1. Disconnect all leads and cables from the desktop.

2. Working on a non carpeted surface, the kitchen breakfast bar or any hard surface is ideal, open the case of the computer., normally two thumb-screws or x headed screws securing a side of the case to the rear plate of the computer, normally it will be the two on the left of the tower as you view from the front.

3. Take hold of the bare metal of the case with both hands to discharge any static in your body. NOTE the bear metal inside of the case not the outisde surface.

4. Release the two securing clips, each end of a stick of ram

5. Gently remove the ram, taking hold ONLY of the edges of the sticks, not the actual components on the stick of ram., as you remove the stick check carefully the orientation of the slot on the base of the stick, then you will know which way to re-insert the stick. - remove a stick of ram furthest from the processor, consult your motherboard manual if you have it.
If I am right the computer motherboard has dual core ram and you will have four slots. Very likely two will be one colour and two another. Each colour is a core.

6. Test the computer - you do not need to put the side back on the case for a brief test

7. If it still has errors take out another stick, make sure you know which you removed first, so that you now have two sticks in each of ONE core.. There will be one core that must be populated for the computer to boot.

8. Test the computer. If it still has errors proceed below

9.. Again take hold of the case with both hands, to again ensure you have discharged static.

10. Take out one more stick - again ensure you know whch is which.
Replace that with ONE that you removed first.
Test the computer. - if it still has errors

11. Again discharge your body.

12. Take out the ONLY stick of ram you have NOT yet removed and replace that with stick that you took out second.
Test the computer.

13. If by chance we have won the jackpot. - we now know that we have on the evidence available, faulty ram.

14, You now substitute the two sticks that are in, one at a time for the two you have out of the computer.

You may think this procedure is a little OTT. Please be assured that it is not. Failing to discharge static in your body can easily dmage the ram, especially if you touch the wrong place on the stick.

bike vault

bike vault

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I chose those dates as i know that's when it all started..

more current below:

PC was pch'd end of line in april 2010. fujitsu siemens pcs usually have a sticker with an id number and model details. this doesn't so i guess it's not off the regular business machine line.

googled invoice details and came up with this..

https://my.supplycha...re2-quad-q8200-

i'll endeavour to get a disk sorted at work..

i'm no whizz but have enough idea to follow instructions and have a bit of a feel for what you say - you won't offend me!

Vino's Event Viewer v01c run on Windows Vista in English
Report run at 27/11/2011 00:18:17

Note: All dates below are in the format dd/mm/yyyy

'Application' Log - Error Type
Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 25/11/2011 15:07:01
Type: Error Category: 3
Event: 3013 Source: Microsoft-Windows-Search
The entry <MAPI://{S-1-5-21-1413803913-1652693615-406530422-1000}/PERSONAL FOLDERS($8E1F6818)/X/OUTBOX/????????????????????????> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Context: Application, SystemIndex Catalog

Details:
A device attached to the system is not functioning. (0x8007001f)

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 25/11/2011 15:07:01
The entry <MAPI://{S-1-5-21-1413803913-1652693615-406530422-1000}/PERSONAL FOLDERS($8E1F6818)/X/OUTBOX/????????????????????????> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 25/11/2011 08:18:57

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 25/11/2011 07:38:41
Faulting application TrustedInstaller.exe, version 6.0.6002.18005, time stamp 0x49e01af1, faulting module wcp.dll, version 6.0.6002.18005, time stamp 0x49e0380e, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0015989e, process id 0xf78, application start time 0x01ccab444ce4792e.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 25/11/2011 07:33:04

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 25/11/2011 07:29:10
Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 9.0.8112.16421, time stamp 0x4d76255d, faulting module GoogleDesktopCommon.dll, version 5.9.1005.12335, time stamp 0x4beaf2a2, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00001a87, process id 0x14fc, application start time 0x01ccab43ebd932d9.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 25/11/2011 07:27:21
Faulting application TrustedInstaller.exe, version 6.0.6002.18005, time stamp 0x49e01af1, faulting module wcp.dll, version 6.0.6002.18005, time stamp 0x49e0380e, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0015989e, process id 0x14f4, application start time 0x01ccab43816b3a19.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 25/11/2011 07:24:02
Faulting application TrustedInstaller.exe, version 6.0.6002.18005, time stamp 0x49e01af1, faulting module wcp.dll, version 6.0.6002.18005, time stamp 0x49e0380e, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0015989e, process id 0x166c, application start time 0x01ccab42c9a4f659.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 25/11/2011 07:02:28

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 24/11/2011 07:23:38

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 24/11/2011 07:12:23
Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 9.0.8112.16421, time stamp 0x4d76255d, faulting module GoogleDesktopCommon.dll, version 5.9.1005.12335, time stamp 0x4beaf2a2, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00018e1e, process id 0x9a8, application start time 0x01ccaa7869318c15.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 24/11/2011 07:04:12

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 24/11/2011 06:50:17

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 24/11/2011 00:22:05
Faulting application TFC.exe, version 3.1.7.0, time stamp 0x2a425e19, faulting module plugin_extra.m32, version 0.5.2042.1192, time stamp 0x4d7e520f, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0000ce19, process id 0x1274, application start time 0x01ccaa3daf096fd0.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 24/11/2011 00:21:31
The entry <C:\USERS\HARRISONS-PC-NEW\APPDATA\LOCAL\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES\OLK790\10121404172017866868 EMAIL 160.PDF> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:

The entry <C:\USERS\HARRISONS-PC-NEW\APPDATA\LOCAL\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES\OLK790\1.JPG> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:

The entry <C:\USERS\HARRISONS-PC-NEW\APPDATA\LOCAL\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES\OLK790\1 - OXFORD SPRINT FACTOR PRICE LIST IN CATALOGUE PAGE BY PAGE ORDER FEBRUARY 2011.XLS> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:

The entry <C:\USERS\HARRISONS-PC-NEW\APPDATA\LOCAL\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES\OLK790\09-02 SOS BC QUOTE (5).JPG> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:

The entry <C:\USERS\HARRISONS-PC-NEW\APPDATA\LOCAL\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES\OLK790\09-02 SOS BC QUOTE (4).JPG> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:

The entry <C:\USERS\HARRISONS-PC-NEW\APPDATA\LOCAL\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES\OLK790\09-02 SOS BC QUOTE (3).JPG> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:

The entry <C:\USERS\HARRISONS-PC-NEW\APPDATA\LOCAL\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES\OLK790\07 13 CENTRE OF LEIGH ADVERTISING TARIFF (2).TIF> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:

The entry <C:\USERS\HARRISONS-PC-NEW\APPDATA\LOCAL\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES\OLK790\07 13 CENTRE OF LEIGH ADVERTISING (3).TIF> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:

The entry <C:\USERS\HARRISONS-PC-NEW\APPDATA\LOCAL\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES\OLK790\06 04 ADVERTISING PROPOSAL.DOC> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:

The entry <C:\USERS\HARRISONS-PC-NEW\APPDATA\LOCAL\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES\OLK790\05-24 NCP VIABILITY.DOC> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:

The entry <C:\USERS\HARRISONS-PC-NEW\APPDATA\LOCAL\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES\OLK790\05 29 RENT A VAULT.DOC> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:

The entry <C:\USERS\HARRISONS-PC-NEW\APPDATA\LOCAL\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES\OLK790\05 12 NCP PROPOSAL (4).DOC> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:

The entry <C:\USERS\HARRISONS-PC-NEW\APPDATA\LOCAL\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES\OLK790\05 12 NCP PROPOSAL (3).DOC> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:

The entry <C:\USERS\HARRISONS-PC-NEW\APPDATA\LOCAL\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES\OLK790\05 12 NCP PROPOSAL (2).DOC> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:

The entry <C:\USERS\HARRISONS-PC-NEW\APPDATA\LOCAL\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES\OLK790\05 11 BIKEDOCK PRICES (5).TIF> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:

The entry <C:\USERS\HARRISONS-PC-NEW\APPDATA\LOCAL\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES\OLK790\05 11 BIKEDOCK PRICES (4).TIF> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:

The entry <C:\USERS\HARRISONS-PC-NEW\APPDATA\LOCAL\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES\OLK790\05 11 BIKEDOCK PRICES (3).TIF> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:

The entry <C:\USERS\HARRISONS-PC-NEW\APPDATA\LOCAL\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES\OLK790\024333.PDF> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:

The entry <C:\USERS\HARRISONS-PC-NEW\APPDATA\LOCAL\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES\OLK790\02 27 NTH STREET STICKERS (4).DOC> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:

The entry <C:\USERS\HARRISONS-PC-NEW\APPDATA\LOCAL\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES\OLK790\02 27 NTH STREET STICKERS (2).DOC> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 23/11/2011 19:37:26

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 23/11/2011 13:12:35
The entry <C:\USERS\HARRISONS-PC-NEW\APPDATA\LOCAL\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES\CONTENT.IE5\JMX7T4E2\303[1]> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:

The entry <C:\USERS\HARRISONS-PC-NEW\APPDATA\LOCAL\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES\CONTENT.IE5\JMX7T4E2\303[1]> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:

The entry <C:\USERS\HARRISONS-PC-NEW\APPDATA\LOCAL\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES\CONTENT.IE5\T1FBWZWV\304[1]> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:

The entry <C:\USERS\HARRISONS-PC-NEW\APPDATA\LOCAL\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES\CONTENT.IE5\T1FBWZWV\304[1]> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 23/11/2011 13:07:26

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 23/11/2011 07:41:14

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 23/11/2011 06:55:57

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 22/11/2011 19:06:14

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 22/11/2011 18:37:55

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 22/11/2011 13:32:28

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 22/11/2011 06:53:04

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I have NOT read all of your last. TONIGHT but will do so.

Could you please check if the fans etc are clean.

Could you also check the ram if you feel competant with the physical test or if not with the memtest.

A number of those errors have been attributable it appears to another error, that is NOT something to worry about and Microsoft have released file to change a regsitry key, that prevents the errors being recorded.

However - YOU have many other errors that are NOT accounted for in the mentioned Microsoft article and I do NOT think it wise to use the Microsoft offered fix, to prevent some being recorded until we find out what problem we have.

bike vault

bike vault

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hi Macboatmaster,

Just so you don't thinkl the topic is abandoned..

I hope to do the physical test tonight (may have to be Thursday though). I'm familiar with removing memory sticks, although never have in this unit.

I'll print your instructions and hopefully come up with the goods!

So it may just need a couple of new mem sticks you think?

FYI the Tasktray error still appears every boot; I've had no freezes; IE sometimes crashes at first use after boot (but not always) - a reboot and all is fine.

Cheers,

Simon

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

So it may just need a couple of new mem sticks you think?

I cannot possibly say until you have either run Memtest or if you prefer, after checking the cleanliness etc as outlined you try the physical test, when you have done that I will be in a better position to advise you further.

bike vault

bike vault

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hi Macboatmaster,

Okay side off and only two slots with a 2gb stick in each.

Removed one - fired it up and left it; came back after about 15 minutes and the TaskTrayApplication has stopped working dialogue was on the screen.

Put the stick back and removed the other one, fired up and exactly the same.

I assume that is pretty conclusive?

It's an Intel Q8200 quad cpu by the way.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1.It does appear conclusive, but would you please RUN memetest on ONE complete cycle of the eight tests.
Then I will be happy that it is NOT a ram fault, or indeed a fault on the ram slot.

scannow failed at 41% - see attached snip.

Boot to Safe Mode with cmd prompt and run sfc /scannow from there please.