Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connect Windows 7 with Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

Could the problem be with my network router???
It is a belkin N?

I doubt it as it works for the laptops. If you own a network cross over cable we can elimante the router as a cause. This is odd! I have just created user accounts with login
details on both machines - access no worries. I am leaning towards antivirus/firewall type situation. Do you have the cd/dvd for Mcafee or was it a download?
Did you have a settings similar to this
Click on me

Cheers
Peterm

Advertisements

jjmdos

jjmdos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Don't have a network crossover cable.
My version of Mcafee is downloaded, and it is not that version, I haven't seen that version in probly a year. I will look to see if I can find those settings. If need be I can remove them temperary to see if I can get the computers to connect.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
On the XP machine go to my computer does C drive have a picture of the drive with a hand under it.
Also please try another ping but instead of ip address use the computer name
eg ping bigdaddy. Do you get a reply. No need for screen shot
If the C drive in xp has a hand and you can ping via the name then we might have to uninstall mcafee to see if that is the issue. Would you be ok with that ?
Cheers
peterm

jjmdos

jjmdos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Yes, on the xp the c drive has the hand. I can't ping anything other than the ip's. I would only do a temp uninstall of Mcafee. I do have a question. Why would Mcafee no tlet the windows 7 and the xp communicate? I have Mcafee on both laptops too.
If you don't have anything else to suggest I will give it a try and let you know what happens.
As always Thanks for the help. ;)

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

I would only do a temp uninstall of Mcafee

for sure only as a test. Because you should be able to ping via name. If you can't then this is a DNS problem. Please go to the command prompt on xp & 7 ipconfig /all Enter
Are both machines showing the same DNS server eg 192.168.2.54 the dns server showing here should be the same ip as your router. If it is please power down the router for 30 seconds repower and test again for connection.
I have one more thing to try before removing Mcafee. Checking wins and netbios can help.
When you do ipconfig /all it should show netbios over tcpip enabled. If not,
Go to Network and sharing center>change adapter settings>Right click on adapter>properties>
Click on Internet protocol Version 4 (tcp/ipv4) click on properties>click on advanced>dns>
The following 3 should be checked
Append primary and connection specific dns suffxes.
append parent suffxes of the primary dns suffix
Register this connections address in dns.
Click on wins tab
Enable lmhosts lookup
on the Netbios settings the usual setting is default. please change to enable netbios over tcpip - Do the same on xp.
I have been slowed by my isp so internet running sloooooooooow. So no screen shots for now please.
As for

I do have a question. Why would Mcafee not let the windows 7 and the xp communicate?

Strange I know but it happens. May I have model number of router I know its an N but exact model please. Can all machines access the internet. Is the xp home wireless or hardwired.
With the xp machine not showing in the network map this is not an issue. However if you want to put it in the map here is a link on how to do it(The article is for vista but will be the same for win 7)Click on meIt could help to show were the break is.
Cheers
Peterm

jjmdos

jjmdos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I cant get the computers to ping off the names.
When you do ipconfig /all it should show netbios over tcpip enabled The desktop doesn't show this.

There is Primary Dsn Suffix and it is blank on both the windows xp & windows 7.

The Dsn Servers # 192.168.2.1 (The same for windows 7 & windows zp)

Here is the info on the Router
Belkin N
Model: F6D4230-4 V3

In the mean time I will remove the Mcafee on both computers and post an update.
Thanks,

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

The desktop doesn't show this.

Ok If you are fine with that then please remove Mcafee.
If no result then follow the steps in my last post to enable netbios.
After doing that if no luck we will force all info to see what happens. Please reboot router after uninstalling Mcafeee.

Cheers
Peterm

jjmdos

jjmdos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Sorry been xtra busy.
I removed mcafee and still had no luck.
What is next?
Thanks

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Go to Network and sharing center>change adapter settings>Right click on adapter>properties>
Click on Internet protocol Version 4 (tcp/ipv4) click on properties>click on advanced>dns>
The following 3 should be checked
Append primary and connection specific dns suffxes.
append parent suffxes of the primary dns suffix
Register this connections address in dns.
Click on wins tab
Enable lmhosts lookup
on the Netbios settings the usual setting is default. please change to enable netbios over tcpip - Do the same on xp.

Cheers
Peterm