Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intermittant errors. Unsure of cause

• Please log in to reply

Stephen Denman

Stephen Denman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Good Day People

Recently, , I found my pc to start randomly BSOD'ing. The errors I was getting were typically PFN_LIST_CORRUPT, paged/unpaged errors, IRQL error , lots of different ones. Then the desktop started causing more problems as I was getting to the point of randomly doing one of the next 4 options
Failing to get to post (No gfx output and no beeps)
Locking up midway through windows boot
Successfully booting into windows , only to crash a few minutes later and BSOD'ing
Booting into windows, lasting fine until reboot.

after tyring various things to fix it with no avail, this evening, (no change to desktop within last week) I found it refused to boot. I took disk drive out and connected it to my hand SATA reader and connected it into my laptop. Refused to read disk. To test that it wasn't my reader playing silly buggers, I tested it on another HD and had no problems.

I put a fresh HD into the computer, installed WINDOWS 7 and had a couple of BSOD's since. Mostly though it is failing to post.

I also previously had errors on "Unleashing mode" (6 core activation) during post and had disabled it since.

What Have i checked ?:
Voltages on PSU are fine
No visual damage to MOBO (capacitors etc)
Removed RAM one stick at a time and tested booting with just 1 stick (went slowly but same symptoms)

My main problem is that I dont have any more compatiable ram, I dont have another processor, motherboard or PSU that I can use to test with.
And as the problem is intermittent even If i Did, I would be unable to pin the exact cause down.

The desktop is barely a year old, here is the list of components

Gigabyte GTX 460 OC 1GB GDDR5 OC Edition Dual DVI HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card With H.A.W.X. 2 Game Voucher - Qty: 1
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8GHz 9MB Cache Socket AM3 Retail Box Processor - Qty: 1
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium - Licence and media - 1 PC - OEM - DVD - 64-bit - English - Qty: 1
Asus M4A79XTD EVO 790X Socket AM3 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard - Qty: 1
Antec EarthWatts 650W PSU - 80Plus Certified 12cm Fan 3x 12V Rails - Qty: 1
Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz HyperX Memory Kit 1.65V CL9 - Qty: 1

Help is much much appreciated. My next step is going to be to remove each indiviual item and see if i can get to post. Unfortunately I can't tell if it is the item i removed or just pure luck.

Edited by Stephen Denman, 24 November 2011 - 03:27 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi Stephen Denman and :welcome:

The desktop is barely a year old

To prevent voiding your warranty you should return the PC to the place of purchase and have them sort it out.