Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video upgrade advice needed!

• Please log in to reply

bobkn

bobkn

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Alright, so I've recently purchased an Acer AX1420G-U5832 desktop PC and wanted to upgrade the Video card to something where I can enjoy smooth gaming. I'm not a heavy gamer but I'd still like to play games such as Amnesia: The Dark Descent and such. I've noticed that my PSU is only 220w and most cards for gaming requires a better PSU. Can anyone suggest a half-height video card for my PC without purchasing a new PSU? If there's no way of finding a decent video card for my desire, can anyone suggest both a card and PSU compatible for my PC? Thank you

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Hi bobkn and :welcome:

You need to set a budget then I think you are just going to have start searching Newegg and other sites for cards, then look up those cards at the card maker's sites to see their system requirements. You certainly are limited by that PSU. Note you may have better luck searching for low profile graphics cards.

Note that upgrade options are typically very limited with entry-level computers, and by small form factor (SFF) computers, and your Acer is both. Replacement SFF PSUs with higher power capability are even harder to find - especially since there are more than one type as seen here.