Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fan speed varying

• Please log in to reply

mikepencoed

mikepencoed

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I wonder if anyone can help me with the following please

Occasionally when booting up, the processor fan starts normally, then just as windows begins to load it speeds up (about 3 times as noisy)

I switch off then on again and go into the bios. Without changing anything I hit f10 and enter to save and reboot,, then the fan runs at about half normal speed.

The fault occurs perhaps 1 in every 3 or 4 startups although it is not regular

Windows loads and operates OK under either condition. After an hour it shows no sign of overheating

It has been suggested elsewhere that the fan is dying, but I find that unlikely as it’s been happening for over a month now with no change

Anyone know if this is fixable Thanks in advance for any help

Pentium 4 , 3.4Ghz, Xp sp2, IBM Thinkcentre

Attached Thumbnails

• Fan new05.jpg

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi mikepencoed and :welcome:
Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

mikepencoed

mikepencoed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks i'll try that tomorrow., The fault is on another PC that is not normally on the net

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Ok I will wait for an update when you are ready.

mikepencoed

mikepencoed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The info you require is

After 10min after 1hr

Cpu 31 34
Internal temp 25 26
Remote temp 20 21
HDD 34 38
Temp 1 (orange symbol 60 60

Fan 1 = 868rpm

In the bottom circled box I have

2.5v , 3.3v, 5v , 12v , Vcore. All are 0.00V

That is all the info in the 3 boxes, Regards , Mike

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Can you provide a screenshot of the readings please;

To capture and post a screenshot;
Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload...
then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions courtesy of happyrock :thumbsup:

mikepencoed

mikepencoed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
This was taken after about an hour running

Attached Thumbnails

• Speedfan for fan varying.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the screenshot, it tells us very little unfortunately with the exception of that one temp is slightly hot and this is most likely your video card/chip, what do you have an add on card or an integrated chip on the MB?
Previous to the change of fan behavior had you added or changed any hardware or software, this question raises another question, why have you not updated to Xp Sp3? By not doing so you are putting yourself at risk of malware attack due to your system security not being up to date, there are also many hot-fixes available and one may resolve your present one.
Another software for you to try and get some readings http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html again provide a screenshot please.

mikepencoed

mikepencoed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
This PC is not on the net, it is used for photos only, hence no sp3

The video is on the Mbd

The sound card was changed a few months ago and i now find it is faulty and have removed it. I will also go back in time with system restore. As the fault only occurs occasionally it will take some time before any conclusions can be drawn

If not cleared I will put up with it as it is not heavily used

Many thanks for your time, Regards , Mike

Attached Thumbnails

• hwmonitor for fan varying.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Ok but please keep us updated and let us know if you require assistance in any way.
http://forum-en.msi....?topic=109858.0 It is on an MSI forum I know but the general idea is quite relevant on setting fan speeds http://www.freewaref...programid=13538 may also be helpful.