Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dozens of scans, disc clean up and defrag up have not improved speed

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If the EULA states it can only be installed on one system at a time then you would have to uninstall it from the original system and then install it on the new system.
If you follow the instructions at the end of post 67 you should be able to keep all your installed programs. You may have to setup new shortcuts on the new desktop to be able to start the programs.

Advertisements

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
What is a 'Eula'?

If I need to uninstall it how do I access the programs on my old PC to do that?

I'm completely lost by your instructions. You said "Copying of programs is out of the question. Those will need to be reinstalled on the new system to work correctly." and then you just said "If you follow the instructions at the end of post 67 you should be able to keep all your installed programs" If you're referring to keeping them on the old system then how do I access those?

Edited by moe jr, 05 December 2011 - 06:00 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
On the new system you will need to do a fresh install of any programs.
On the old system all you have to do is resetup the shortcuts to start the system again because they are still there but you have a new OS installed when you did the parallel install.
Can you now boot into windows on the original system with all the issues we started with?

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
No, I can't. After I log on to the old system(without the disc) I get a msg that set up is being restarted, then, as before, I get the fatal error msg and the system shuts down. If I insert the disc and log on it goes thru the same repair procedure and gets stuck at setup. So I don't know how to get into the old system and delete Avast or use some of those programs.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you do the parallel install I suggested in post 67?

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Yes and when I first power up I have the choice to log on to either system, but the old system is hung up in set up.

Another reason I need to get into the old system is to transfer all my Outlook Express data to Window 7 Mail

Edited by moe jr, 05 December 2011 - 11:33 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok as I said the data transfer procedure is included in the post 67.
Documents and Settings

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I understand the data transfer procedure but what I need to know is how do I get into the old system and run some of those programs? Like you siad, programs can't be transfered so they have to be run within the old system.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You only have to find the install folder for the program on your old system and click on the exe file for that program. If it works then create a shortcut to it on the new desktop.

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Ok sounds good but being a novice I need some details on finding those install folders

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You may have to do a search for the name of the program.

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
So where do I search? While I'm in the new OS? If the programs are in the old OS how do I find them while searching in the new OS?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Search the hard drive and not the OS. When you do the search make sure it is checking all partitions and not just the OS :thumbsup:

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Sorry it's taken so long to get back, I've been setting up my new computer and trying to find some files on my old one. I was able to copy and transfer all my photos and videos but as far as finding some of those old programs I couldn't, everytime I did a search for Avast it said I had to go to the web to open the program and as far as outlook express it would open a new version in the new OS, I never could find it, and I did look in the hard drive. I think I'm going to close this thread and open a new one and see if anyone has any idea about how to complete the set up(where it's stuck) procedure during xp repair. Thanks for your time and effort.

Moe

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just download and install on the new system.

Please download Avast from my signature below. Please make sure you do the registration as it is good for a year or more. When it is due simply just reregister it.
Avast in my opinion is better because:

It's FREE to the Home User
It Updates it's Definitions daily
You can scan Individual Files, Folders and Drives
No buying new versions every year

http://www.avast.com...avast-home.html

As I said the programs cannot be transferred from the old system to the new system. They must be installed just like new.