Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

limited or no connectivity!

• Please log in to reply

kingmar11

kingmar11

• Pip
  • 6 posts
hello to all..I needed helps regarding with my internet connection..

my desktop is newly reformat with XP SP2..when i inserted the network cable this error message came out "limited or no connectivity" I tried the cable to my laptop and I see that the cable is working because I can access internet with my laptop..the router we use is lynkys with a wireless network but it connect to DSL..we 10 computer in our office and only this newly reformat unit is not connecting to the internet..

when i try to ipconfig my laptop, I see that the IP is not the same when I ipconfig my desktop..

I have not try to reboot our router because every night we are power off the router and in the morning we are power on and still my desktop were not connected to the internet..

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to GeekstoGo

we 10 computer in our office and only this newly reformat unit is not connecting to the internet..

Presumably the ten computers are connected on a network are they please.

In otherwords can each computer talk to each other computer.

when i inserted the network cable

To where is the cable connected. - please

the router we use is lynkys with a wireless network

kingmar11

kingmar11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
our lynkys router is dual use..it can be use as WIFI and we also used it as a internet cable router..those other computer actually connected in the internet..the "limited or no connectivity" message came out when i put the internet cable in my desktop..

and also..we always power off all connection of modem,router and hub at night..and still in the morning I can't connect this only one PC..what the difference of power cycling of computer and putting off all connection at the night..

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
As I asked before ARE THE TEN COMPUTERS in the office set up as a network of computers.

If that computer was to connect to the Internet, could you then talk to the other nine computers.

Is each computer simply connected to the internet and there is no communciation between each computer

If there is network is it a simple network or is there a server installation

Peer and Server Networks
Networks of computers all of which are used as work stations are commonly known as "peer" networks. A server network requires an additional dedicated server machine, usually running expensive "server" software and therefore may be less attractive in a SOHO(Small Office Home Environment) context. When investigating groupware applications make sure to understand if a server and specific server software is required or if the application can run on a peer network.

How to set up a TCP/IP network
You may want set up a local network for the Internet protocol TCP/IP (in addition to IPX) to allow use of applications which use TCP/IP and TCP/IP only games like Quake on your network. In addition you may want to set up TCP/IP to allow computers on your LAN to access the Internet as described below. To do this set up the TCP/IP protocol in Windows 98/XP networking and bind it to your Ethernet adapter. Each computer on the LAN needs to have its own address. The addresses in the ranges 10.10.10.0 to 10.10.10.255 and 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.0.255 have been reserved for local networks so no site on the Internet will have addresses in these ranges. Therefore you should give each computer on your LAN a different address within this range such as 10.10.10.1, 10.10.10.2, etc. Don't use 10.10.10.0 or 10.10.10.255 as these have special uses. Set the network mask to 255.255.255.0 on each computer. You may be able to use the network connection wizard to automatically set up your network.

When you are satisfied that this is a stand alone computer not configured to communicate with any of the other nine computers

Then go Control Panel, Network Connections and on the connection for the ethernet, not the 1394 connection if that is shown which simply indicates the presence of a Firewire port and is not used. Nor the Wireless connection, as you say this one is ethernet cable.
Right click that connection. On the window that opens in the small box, find the entry TCP/IP, click once on that to select.
Click Properties button just below and to the right of that box.
Are Obtain IP address and DNS both checked automatically.

If they are, do not change anything. Just exit out of there.
IF THEY ARE NOT checked automatically - see this before you proceed, as I am still NOT certain how the ten computers are set up.
http://www6.nohold.n...&articleid=3686
The next step after verifying the setup is to see if you can ping the router.
You go start, run, type cmd.
and when the cmd window opens you type ping and the IP address of the router. After the cmd ping there is a space before the IP address.

my desktop is newly reformat with XP SP2

If it has NEVER connected since the new installation I would proceed with the link to the router - first

Also Have you checked to see if the network card or the integrated network chip has the drivers installed.
Go start, right click My Computer, click properties, on the window that opens, click hardware click device manager and on Network adaptors, expand that. Is there any warning symbol shown.

Please post the results.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Does your company not have a IT person that handles your network?

kingmar11

kingmar11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a background of repairing a computer unit but not in networking..so all software or driver I have needed are installed in my desktop..all other computer is connected to the internet without inputting an IP address..we are only using "Obtain an IP Adress automatically"..they can detect each other in lan connection..
We don,t have also a server unit..this computer are directly connected to the hub using the cable..
Only my desktop had the problem..and I know that there is no problem regarding to the cable..

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. Please answer the question from the Moderator - rshaffer61.

2. Check driver as I said

3. ping router as explained.
After dealing with 1. above
please include ping result if NOT 4 sent 4 received
no errors no failure.

4. Right click network adaptor click repair if available

When you reply we can carry out further tests subject of course to your answer to rshaffer61, as one of our terms of use is

We offer free computer help and tech support for home and personal use. We are not here to support others that work for profit, or to support/replace your company's IT department.

but we do of course appreciate that all small companies have an IT dept.

kingmar11

kingmar11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
there is no problem regarding to driver..I check it and it install..there is no question mark sign in any device in my computer..
somebody told me that I must not ping the connection..he said it will harm other computer that connected to the hub..

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. I do understand that English is not your first language and you are doing really well.

2. However I feel certain you must have seen the question at 1. in my previous post and post 5 from the Moderator, - rshaffer61.

3. Have you tried ANY of my suggestions, apart from checking if the driver for the card is installed, or is it using a generic driver from the install of Windows.

4. Have you tried repair connection.

5. Have you checked the details I sent on the link for that router, in my post 4. - have you tried connecting THIS computer direct to the modem

6. If this is a clean install of XP. Do you realise that you are most likely using the generic drivers that XP has installed.
You should after installing XP ALWAYS then install the chipset drivers, LAN driver, Sound drivers, Graphics drivers etc from either the computer manufacturers site if it is a branded computer such as a Dell, HP etc. or the motherboard manufacturer site if it is a generic computer and the drivers for the respective hardware installed from their manufacturers site

Perhaps, and I do NOT mean this in anyway to be unhelpful, it may be better if you seek help from your friend who has advised you that pinging the router, will cause harm to the other computers connected to the hub.