Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xp hibernates after a few seconds

• Please log in to reply

Bahman07

Bahman07

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Acer veriton 2800 1 gb ram. When I turn the pc on it goes to hibernation after a few seconds. It does not give me time to go to control panel tp change power setting.
This pro em stated when I added an extra 1 gb of ram.
I can not go to windows safe mode. I have looked at the system set up but I don't know what I need to change. I have tried to see if I can reboot from cd rom but it tells me that I don't have permission. There are no users for this. Only the administrator. When i try to restart the machine, a message says it cannot restart from the last reboot and I confirm to delete and star. But it starts ams straight away goes to hibernate. I do not have recovery disk either. I have even removed the extra ram which i had added. Please help

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to GeekstoGo

I can not go to windows safe mode. I have looked at the system set up but I don't know what I need to change. I have tried to see if I can reboot from cd rom but it tells me that I don't have permission

Do you mean, please it will not boot to Safe Mode or you do not know how to.
KEY F8 immediately after first post screen.
Then select Safe Mode.

As you do not have the recovery discs or presumably the XP Cd - and referring to your quote - what were you trying to boot with please in the optical drive

If that is NOT the full model of Veriton please post that detail

dgoadby

dgoadby

• Pip
  • 1 posts
You are in luck - this just happened to me. The answer is here: http://support.acer....n5900faq4.shtml

Even after you replace the lid or tie down the switch or even disable it you have to reset the opened flag as it says else it keeps on hibernating; then set to disable and you should be fine.

This is a very strange thing for Acer to do but there you go. I disabled the hibernate option in Windows once I got the system up to stop this happening again.

In my case I had replaced the power supply. We are so used to PC's not having a case-open switch that we seldom consider it. In this model of acer it is fitted for sure; it's towards the front in the middle.

My question - why hibernate? Why not just give a real message "case opened - shutting down". Still we are just the dumb SOB's that have to fix the messes created by the so-called professionals ;-)

Regards

David - who had been pulling his hair out for a whole 60 minutes!

Edited by dgoadby, 16 December 2011 - 01:55 PM.

Bahman07

Bahman07

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi David. You are a life saver. For 5 weeks I could not start the pc. But thanks to you it works fine now. Who would have thought that you have to secure the panel on acer veriton fo stop it from hibernating. Thanks again