Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can i Manually Force Dismount a Drive ?

• Please log in to reply

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
I noticed that when error checking a hard drive on your computer you get a force dismount option provided the drive in question is not a system drive.

any way i ran into a problem trying to clone a drive apparently my cloning software cant lock the drive due to something that starts accessing it immediately upon mounting. my question is is there a manual method to manually force dismount a drive so my cloning utility can lock it or at the very least remove active handels

Advertisements

Akabilk

Akabilk

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
There is a way to force a dismount using command prompt, but knowing what cloning utility you are using would help (?)

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I don't know if this works cause i have not had to try it, but you can try this.

Microsoft provides a utility called devcon for free download. It's a "Command Line Uility Alternative to Device Manager". It can actually do many things that I won't get into here, but removing a plug & play device is a simple operation once you know the unique name of the device you want to manipulate.

After you've downloaded devcon, run "devcon status *" in a command window. This will generate a list of all the devices on your system. Look for the line which describes your device. In my case for my external hard drive the (very cryptic) line looks like this:

SBP2\MAXTOR&ONETOUCH&LUN0\0010B9F700AFC279 That full line is a bit much but any substring that remains unique will do. I have another maxtor drive on my system but nothing else that has the phrase "sbp2\maxtor" so I'll use that. The command to safely remove my external drive then becomes:

devcon remove sbp2\maxtor* The "*" at the end is a wildcard and matches the rest of the string.

SRX660

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
it isn't plug and play well it is kinda plug and play but it is a hot swap sata bay designed for raids but i use it for removable storage but it doesn't have a safely remove button and removing the device would make the program not see it at all i need the device active but dismounted eg available for raw access

Edited by mikeloeven, 02 December 2011 - 11:35 AM.