Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Asus m4n78 Pro Mobo Problems

• Please log in to reply

ShawnFreeland

ShawnFreeland

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My brother just purchased an Asus M4N78 PRO motherboard from Geeks.com, when he got everything hooked up and ready to go the it powered up but the optical mouse the keyboard and the monitor seemed to not be receiving anything from the mobo. After further investigation i realized the usb ports are receiving power just that the optical led doesn't light up when plugged into the usb ports on that mobo (It isn't the mouse i am using it on this pc now.) the mouse is clear and has a little blue led that comes on and it comes on when hooked into that motherboards usb port but the optic led doesn't it only blinks when you first hook it up, as for the keyboard it is PS/2 and when you first plug it in the lights blink on it as well(Using it on this pc as well), and for the monitor not much to say about this because all it does is say no signal.

This is what I have attempted so far:
1. Boot with different sticks of ram (To check for bad ram)
2. Clear Cmos (With Jumpers and by taking battery out)
3. For the monitor issue I have tried the on board and his Nvidia 7900 GS

And as for listening for system beeps i can't this mobo is supposed to have a system speaker on the board and apperently its not there so i dug around and found a system speaker (4 Pin) in an old case and i hooked it up and it did nothing not sure if its not beeping or if the pins on the board are messed up because i tested it on my pc and it worked fine.

Any suggestions would be better than what i'm dealing with now i have been searching google for hours to no avail.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi ShawnFreeland and :welcome:
Did you try the components outside of the case first, commonly known as a barebones set-up, see my canned text below

Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
You will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding a component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.
Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason, make sure the jumper cap that can be used for clearing the CMOS is not missing or on the wrong pins and finally try a new or replacement CMOS battery.

ShawnFreeland

ShawnFreeland

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have called the place he ordered the board from and they agreed to replace it, but to answer your questions i did try the barebone setup after i posted on here and still had the same results i thought maybe it was something of ours causing the problems but after trying known working equipment on the mobo and it still not working i decided to call them i still have no idea what would have caused it because i know generally if something is fried the pc will just power on for a second then go off or something similar but to the point it makes me curious because i have never encountered a problem like this before and i cant figure out what would cause it

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the update, in answer to your question it is not uncommon for new hardware to not function and there are a variety of reasons such as poor quality control and shipping damage, this appears to be a DOA situation and I wish you better fortune with the replacement board and let us know if we can be of assistance.