Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't transfer files between windows xp and 98

• Please log in to reply

WheelerGirl1

WheelerGirl1

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello,

Please help.

I have two computers that I am trying to transfer information between-- a Windows 98 from my college days and a Windows XP for work.

The Windows 98 does not have internet access in my house, but the XP does-- I very recently (ie tonight) bought a Cruzer mini thumb drive to take files from the PC with the 98 OS to the XP, but Sandisk.com says that I need to download a driver from their website for the 98 version in order to get the thumb drive to work.

I have repeatedly attempted to download the 98 OS driver onto my XP so that I can format the thumb drive and use it on the 98 (which does not have internet and therefore cannot download the driver on its own) but whenever I try....the Sandisk website just tells me that I do not need the driver on my XP system. and refuses to let me install it...I KNOW this, but I need the driver in general.

Is there anyway to bypass this??? I'd really like to be able to transfer my files without having to go through the process of buying a burner for the older computer, especially when I just got what should be an easy fix.

Thank you for your help!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
must be missing something, what happens when you clcik on this link?

cruzer mini family_98SE.zip

copy to a floppy and install on win98

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Does your old & new computer both have network cards?

WheelerGirl1

WheelerGirl1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks Gerry and Peter-- a friend burned the zip file onto a disk, as you suggested, and I took it home and was able to install the driver onto my desktop. I'm actually transferring files as I write this post!

Thanks again, you're great.

WheelerGirl1

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
if you have network cards you can transfer without all the back and forth