Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New comp. fans run for a second then stop

• Please log in to reply

Travis Hazelwood

Travis Hazelwood

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Alright I built my first computer about 3 years ago with help from a friend but this time I attempted to build it on my own. :/ when I turn it onthe fans start to spin including the heat sink fan and a blue light lights up on the case for a split second then it all stops.

The computer specs are as follows:

OCZ ZS Series 650W 80PLUS Bronze

ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CML16GX3M4A1600C9B

Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX

MSI N560GTX-M2D1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II Advanced Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Please Help!! Thanks!

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Travis , Posted Image

Please check the following. 20+4-pin ATX and 1 x 4+4-pin ESP/12V cables to the Mobo, 1 or 2 x 6+2-pin PCI-E cables to the video card.
Are they secure?

Did you change the I/O shield installed in the case for the one supplied with the Mobo?

Did you check the number and pattern of stand-offs installed on the Mobo mounting plate. they must match exactly the pattern and number of screw holes on the Mobo, No extra one.

Edited by iammykyl, 03 December 2011 - 05:56 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,790 posts
Hi Travis Hazelwood and :welcome:
Did you test all components outside of the case first?
Better known as a barebones set-up, see my canned text below please;

Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
You will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding a component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.
Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason, make sure the jumper cap that can be used for clearing the CMOS is not missing or on the wrong pins and finally try a new or replacement CMOS battery.

.jpeg courtesy of rshaffer61 :thumbsup:

Travis Hazelwood

Travis Hazelwood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yeah I double checked and the 1 x 4+4-pin ESP/12V was kind of loose and and I secured it in, but it was not the problem, I am sure the standoffs are in the correct place and there are no extra ones, oh and I used the i/o shield that came with the mobo. I have just tried turning it on with bare min, and it worked now I have everything but the graphics card in, and I am at a screen that says reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key, is this when I enter my windows disk or should I enter the disk that came with the mother board?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,790 posts
Insert the MB installation disk first as you will need your chipset and video drivers etc, do this and install the OS before you fit the add on video card because at least that way you know the rest of the set-up is ok.

Travis Hazelwood

Travis Hazelwood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok I have tried setting bios to boot from cd with the driver disc that came with the mobo and nothing happens it goes to a black screen with a blinking underscore in the top left hand corner. *****correction I have tried to boot from windows 7 on a usb flash drive and on a dvd I burned of it and neither is booting...(and I did set the bios to start from which ever method I was trying at the time.)

Edited by Travis Hazelwood, 03 December 2011 - 08:28 PM.

Travis Hazelwood

Travis Hazelwood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you guys for your help so far, one last question I can get to bios now but when I set it to usb or disc drive to boot first (I tried both) with my copy of windows 7 (I downloaded from my colleges programs available to students) it just says "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected" the bios is recognizing the disc drive, the flash drive, and the hard drive. I think I am going to try and boot from an old XP disc and see if maybe its just windows 7 maybe the college download is just an update for windows, but I don't think so...kinda grasping at straws here :P

NM I GOT IT RUNNING! WOOT! graphics card and all this computer is sweet! So all I did to fix it was break it down and put it back together piece by piece and once I got os on it everything smoothed out. Thank you everyone who helped me on here you guys are great!

Edited by Travis Hazelwood, 04 December 2011 - 04:28 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,790 posts
You are welcome and thanks for the follow up :thumbsup:

NB: Be sure to download and install all important updates as a priority.