Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need info on types of partitions

• Please log in to reply

greenwarrior

greenwarrior

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hello guys,
Generally I want the definitions of the following: Primary partition, extended partition, logical drive.
And how do i get the info of my 4 drives i.e. C,D,E,F (I mean what they are like primary,logical etc)
And I also wanna know whether drives and partitions are same or not?
Thanks in advance.

Edited by greenwarrior, 05 December 2011 - 07:07 PM.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hi greenwarrior Posted Image

Disk partitioning
Is the act of dividing a hard disk drive into multiple logical storage units referred to as partitions, to treat one physical disk drive as if it were multiple disks.
primary partition
Contains one file system. In DOS and earlier versions of Microsoft Windows systems, the system partition was required to be the first partition.
Extended partition
A hard disk may contain only one extended partition; the extended partition can be subdivided into multiple logical partitions. In DOS/Windows systems, each logical partition may then be assigned an additional drive letter.

Information from HERE

Also

A logical disk
Is a device that provides an area of usable storage capacity on one or more physical disk drive components in a computer system. Other terms that are used to mean the same thing are partition, logical volume, and in some cases a virtual disk (vdisk).
http://en.wikipedia....ki/Logical_disk

Edited by zep516, 05 December 2011 - 12:44 PM.

greenwarrior

greenwarrior

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi zep,
Thanks for responding back. But you left this question unanswered

And how do i get the info of my 4 drives i.e. C,D,E,F (I mean what they are like primary,logical etc)

Edited by greenwarrior, 05 December 2011 - 07:07 PM.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
What's the make and model of your computer? How many drives do you have connected to it?

silvernoodles

silvernoodles

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Right click on My Computer and select Manage option.You would see "Computer Management" window. Click on "Disk Management"
Here you will get information about your partitions such as primary / extended and more.
:thumbsup:

greenwarrior

greenwarrior

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
hello silvernoodles,
Thanks for your reply. I opened disk management as per your suggestion but couldn't locate any info. It just says system under my main partition C: Could you please tell me how to locate the info that I asked above exactly? I mean the info of my paritions like ( whether it is primary ,extended or logical etc).
Thank you.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
zep516 and silvernoodles just so you are aware I am responding to a PM from greenwarrior regarding recovering the data so here is one option http://www.geekstogo...over-your-data/
What I would like to add to the HDD information provided courtesy of zep516 is that not all drive letters are partitions on the HDD, they may be other devices such as optical drives and card readers for example, this was added for those who may not have been aware of this, it was also what silvernoodles suggested, the drive letters in the attached .jpeg are clearly identified as partitions.