Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help - fans, LEDs, but no display

• Please log in to reply

Blueshoe

Blueshoe

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
This is my first attempt at building a PC and I've run into a wall. Here are the main parts I'm using for my system:

Case: Corsair Carbide 400r
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
Processor:Intel Core i5-2500
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3, 2x4096MB
Graphics Card:MSI N560GTX Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750TXV2 Enthusiast Series TX750 V2

I also have a sound card installed, an optical drive and a hard drive, but don't think any of those are related.

Anyway, using the manuals a youtube video for guidance, I installed and connected everything. When I start up my system, however, all the fans go on and the green, orange, and red LEDs on the motherboard light up, but I can't get anything to come up on my monitor. I just get "no signal." I know it's not the monitor, as I tested a different one with the same result and also tried this monitor on a different computer and it worked fine. The USB seems to work, as my keyboard powered on when I turned on the system, though I'm not sure if that's relevant.

Double-checked all my connections, can't find anything loose or missing; tried the RAM in different ports and with only a single stick with no change; Reread through my mobo manual and can't find anything helpful.

I'm feeling pretty discouraged and lost as to what to do next. I'm really not sure what the problem could be unless the RAM either is faulty or got fried somehow. Neither the mobo or case had an internal speaker included, so I don't even get any beeps to go off of. I've ordered a speaker (and if I get impatient may go out and get one), but I'm not sure how much it'll help.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi Blueshoe and :welcome:
Did you try the components outside of the case first and if so did it boot up?

Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
You will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate (unless there is a power test button on the MB) you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding a component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.
Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason, make sure the jumper cap that can be used for clearing the CMOS is not missing or on the wrong pins.
Also make sure that the 8 and 24 pin power connections are secure.

Blueshoe

Blueshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hey Phill,

Thanks for the quick reply!

I didn't try the stuff outside the case...chalk it up to naivete or lack of experience/proper research, but I didn't realize that was a good thing to do.

I was hoping to figure this out without having to take everything apart again, but I guess that may not be possible. I tried leaving everything in the case and disconnected the drives, USB, audio, etc...basically just leaving the PSU, Motherboard (with processor, RAM, graphics and sound cards attached), and the case's power switch hooked up. But I guess that is too much stuff, huh?

I'm honestly not sure what the CMOS jumper cap is, but I will try to find that.

Also all the stand-offs and screws seem set up fine. There are some wires from the PSU and various components that are brushing against inner parts. You think that could be a problem?

I wonder if I could get some technical help somewhere, like Microcenter. Ugh, just so daunting when there are so many possible reasons why this isn't working.

Blueshoe

Blueshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Oh, when I disconnected a bunch of that stuff, I had some strange behavior. One time after I powered on the system, it powered down again after a few seconds and then went back on without me pressing anything. After another try I had the motherboard's LED lights go on and off a couple times. Does this sound like a PSU issue?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi Blueshoe

Does this sound like a PSU issue?

Cannot say at present as more than one thing could be the cause.
Doing the barebones set up is the way forward + it is the only way to check the stand offs if used are in the correct places, when you do the barebones test try it without the add on video card if you don`t get a screen first off.

Blueshoe

Blueshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
All right, I'll try dismantling and trying that then and checking back in when I have more to go on. Thanks for the help!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You are welcome and I will look out for an update.

Blueshoe

Blueshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I've taken the mobo out and am trying what you said, but I'm having some trouble finding the pins that I need to connect. Would it be the ATX pin with the PW pin that's normally plugged into the case's power on switch? They're on opposite sides of the motherboard, so I'd need to make a chain of paperclips or something...heh.

Blueshoe

Blueshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Nevermind, I got it. It started, but still no Bios screen or input to the monitor...hmmm.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
No, you must connect the 8 pin ATX connection and the 24 pin main power connection to the MB, the 2 pins you need to short out are the ones that connect to your power on switch at the front of your case, it will look something like the .jpeg below (colours vary) only 1 paper clip is required.

Advertisements

Blueshoe

Blueshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Sorry for the multiple posts...but to be more detailed, the mobo LED lights all come on and the processor fan spins, but no video display. I tried using each RAM stick separately in a different port and no change.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Is this without the add on video card as suggested earlier?

Blueshoe

Blueshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Tried with and without, both with the same result. So I guess it's either the motherboard or the processor?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Both possibilities Im afraid, did you use TIM when you fitted the CPU http://www.geekstogo...rface-material/ you may need to remove and inspect the CPU for bent pins.
I will be offline now until 1700hrs UK time tomorrow due to work commitments someone else may step in to help meanwhile.

Blueshoe

Blueshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Gotcha. Well, thanks much for your help, and thanks again in advance if you stop back in again.

The CPU fan had some anti-thermal substance on the part that touches the top of the chip. I had read this is enough, but do you think that could be an issue and I need a separate product?

I will check the CPU. If no pins appear to be bent, is there any way to further narrow down what the problem is before this gets expensive and I need to rebuy lots of parts? Man, how frustrating...going to turn out that it would have been cheaper to buy a pre-made PC.

Thanks again for your advice.

Edited by Blueshoe, 06 December 2011 - 06:18 PM.