Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

searchqu! how can I permanently delete? [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

huggster26

huggster26

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I would've sworn I gave you this error, but maybe I posted over it? Anything is possible! LOL
I have uninstalled and reinstalled an earlier version of Mozilla. Let me know any ideas. Here's the error:

Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system.

Edited by huggster26, 19 December 2011 - 11:12 PM.

Advertisements

havredave

havredave

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,711 posts
Ahh, ok. Unfortunately the error message is just a little vague to do much with.

How attached to your Firefox addons are you, and would it be very difficult for you to re-add them if we performed a clean installation of Firefox?

I'll post instructions for a clean install in the morning, from work, should you decide to go that route. I'll also let you know how to back up your existing Firefox profile, should you decide you want to put it back, or retrieve pieces of it.

huggster26

huggster26

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I have reinstalled Firefox but that was before all the fixes. I had the latest version and thought perhaps there was a glitch in it....it's ok if we have to do this over again - np

-C.

havredave

havredave

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,711 posts
The profile for Firefox is personal to you, and gets picked up by whatever version you use. Even if you uninstall Firefox, the profile, and program folder, remains. Removing that profile and program folder gives you a clean install, by removing all addons and other information Firefox keeps just for you.

Let's try a clean uninstall. Please click here for instructions at the Mozilla site for removing Firefox.

The important part to the clean uninstall in this case is removing the user data and settings after Firefox has been removed, so please complete all of the instructions for Windows XP 32 bit.

If you run into any snags, especially with removing your user profile (in C:\Documents and Settings\Carolyn\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\), let me know and I can help you.

After you have completely removed your profile, you can reinstall Firefox's latest version, and let me know if it still crashes on start-up.

huggster26

huggster26

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
got it! last time I didn't delete the settings....thanks so much - is there anything else I'm missing?

havredave

havredave

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,711 posts
We haven't removed Microsoft Antimalware or Tango yet, but they're not absolutely critical to get rid of. More an issue of them being chaff at this point. If you'd like help removing them, I'd sure be willing to go further.

I'd also like to stress again that Limewire, Frostwire, and programs like that are bad news for you, but again, their removal is your choice.

Otherwise I can help you get rid of the things we've used so far, and speed you on your way.

I'll leave the choice to you. :)

huggster26

huggster26

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I'm more concerned w the Tango and that MS antimalware. I've removed the Limewire - just need to remove Frostwire. Ran out of time...if you have time to help me w those other programs I'd appreciate it, I'm just glad that the system is working better now that we have those other things removed.
thanks again for all your help!!
-C.

havredave

havredave

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,711 posts
I have great heaping gobs of time, and will help for as long as you need/want it. :)

As far as Microsoft Antimalware and Tango are concerned, I'll sure help you remove them.

When you try to remove them using Add/Remove Programs, what sort of error messages do you receive? Do they do anything at all?

Given that it's been a few days, after you try removing those two (and after you've finished removing Limewire/Frostwire), please give me a new OTL.txt and Extras.txt logfile, using the following instructions:

• Double click on the OTL icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Tick the "Use SafeList" radio button in the "Extra Registry" section.
  • Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any other settings. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time and post them in your topic

So in your next post, please include the new OTL.txt and Extras.txt, and let me know in detail what errors/issues you ran into while trying to remove Tango and Microsoft Antimalware using Add/Remove Programs.

havredave

havredave

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,711 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.