Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Comp rebooting problem

• Please log in to reply

ImaTarget

ImaTarget

• Pip
  • 7 posts
My problem is probably related to my graphic card, tried to fix it its been 2 days, and im getting a wee bit frustrated. When I play games, my comp has the bad habit to reboot, no warnings, nothing. Makes you want to throw the whole thing through the window ;)

I formated my comp not long ago, and before that, it used to do the same thing until I updated my graphic card ( I dont quite remember how/when/where I did that ). After that it played allright. But since I just formated I guess id need to update it again, thing is I CANT FIND WHERE to get that update. Ive looked at ATI website, and theres so much updates and im pretty much stuck there (I know, I really suck with all these things, thats why im asking you HELP! )

I got a Asus ATI Radeon 9100 IGP, built in the motherboard (I think :tazz: )

If someone could show me the light, id be grateful

Thx

Oh, and if my problem isnt related to updating my graphic card, well, id like some help anyway... bleh ;)

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Windows Update may have a basic driver for your card

This is for Radeon on XP, they all use the same one

https://support.ati....dge&folderID=27

Edited by Keith, 01 June 2005 - 08:24 PM.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
https://support.ati....dge&folderID=27

there the latest one for IGP

but this would help more :tazz: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102281

ImaTarget

ImaTarget

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes, i checked that website already https://support.ati....dge&folderID=27

Thing is, I must get the right stuff for it to work correctly. I tried catalyst, and it didnt change a thing ( might be even worse after that ). Hmm, seems they recommend having XP SP2, but when I want to install, it just wont install ( [bleep] I love my comp :tazz: )

Im kinda lost now...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Get it on disc

http://www.microsoft...us/default.mspx

Run it with as many processes off as you can

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
What game are you tring to play with intergrated graphix :tazz:

ImaTarget

ImaTarget

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
So the source of my problem is that I only need to get SP2 and catalyst? Got a small doubt about that ;)
Aight, I should get the cd in 4-6weeks :tazz: Takes loooong time, aw well

And what you mean by running it with as many processes off as possible?

What games im trying to play? Well, quite a few... WoW, Painkiller, Guildwars, NWN, BF1942 and BFV... But I dont think its what games I play thats the problem. Because sometimes theres tis annoying reboot when I am merely browsing in my desktop, even it doesnt happen often... it CAN happen

And all the games workded fine before I rebooted, when I had that damned update or something like that... Im thinking about getting a new graphic card, but ONLY if theres nothing to do with the one I have... I dont like to waste money if I dont have to

Woo, now my comp not only reboots, but when I try playing the games, they close themselves for no reason... ARGH! Heeaalp!

Edited by ImaTarget, 02 June 2005 - 09:42 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When you get SP2, boot the PC, run disc clean up, run disk defragmenter, run your anti-virus, load SP2.

With the Processes, avoid doing anything else with the PC until SP2 is installed, it stops for long breaks, but don't think it has stopped completely, 20 - 30 minutes is usual.

You should get it in less than the 4 weeks quoted.

While you are waiting, run a trial of TuneUP to check for obsolete / incorrect registry entries

http://www.tune-up.com

Run disc clean up, registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, which takes a while, the monitor goes to black and white then needs a reboot.

Edited by Keith, 02 June 2005 - 11:13 AM.

ImaTarget

ImaTarget

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
This does sound like help to me :tazz:
Btw, is booting same thing as format? Hope not... Since I just formated, and re installed all the stuff I needed ( Boring day it was ). I wouldnt like to reformat a week later, heh.

But you got my hopes back about all the other stuff. Maybe itll work.

Ill check that out

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You will be pleased to know

In simple terms, to boot a computer is to turn it on. Once the computer's power is turned on, the "boot process" takes place. This process involves loading the startup instructions from the computer's ROM, followed by loading the operating system from the current boot disk. The boot disk is usually an internal hard drive, but can also be an external drive, a CD or DVD-ROM, or even a floppy disk. Once the operating system software is loaded, the boot process is complete and the computer is ready to be used.

ImaTarget

ImaTarget

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Good to know ;)
English isnt my first language, atleast i got a good excuse to ask dumb questions :tazz:

Edited by ImaTarget, 02 June 2005 - 02:04 PM.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Good to know ;)
English isnt my first language, atleast i got a good excuse to ask dumb questions  ;)

View Post

There are no dumb questions just dumb answers :tazz:

ImaTarget

ImaTarget

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
:tazz:
I done what you asked Keith, defrag, clean up optimize and all that, nothing changed..
Ok, so lets say I want to buy another graphic card, what should I take into consideration, so that I dont get from a problem to another one.. Ive seen some post about gpu and watts, id like to know what I need to check.

And what graphic card you suggest me?, heh ;)
I thought about staying with Radeon, maybe getting a 256mb, what do you think?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I thought you were waiting for SP2 to install the driver

Start a new topic here

http://www.geekstogo...ocking-f27.html

include your system details, say what games you want to play now and in the future and ask for a recommendation

It could be worth asking ATI Tech Support if they have anything to say because your card worked until the format

Edited by Keith, 04 June 2005 - 12:54 PM.

ImaTarget

ImaTarget

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Actually, it didnt work until I found somekind of update/patch (been some time now), and it worked until i formated

But anyway, everyone around me are saying integrated cards arent worth much in terms of gaming
Guess I could atleast check around... Got to go shop now :tazz: