Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Repairing XP (Without the CD or administror rights)

• Please log in to reply

Sgt. Criesalot

Sgt. Criesalot

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hail oh mighty geeks,

I have done something quite stupid yesterday. I wanted to get rid of the XP welcome screen, so I went into the "control userpasswords2" menu. There I disabled the login, and set the default account to the account I use (which is the only account, apart from the administrator). This was not only thing I did there, however. In an act of unsurpassed and unexplainable stupidity I also set the aforementioned account to the "user" group. I soon found out that users don't have the right to do pretty much anything else than to "use" the computer in the most basic sense of the word. No installs, no control panel functions other than maybe volume adjustments, and certainly no acces to "control userpasswords2".

So this is when i thought: "Better log in as the administrator to set his straight". I am however using Windows XP Home Edition, which only allows you to log in as admin in safe mode. No biggie, let's reset this thing and tap F8 like there's no tomorrow, right? Wrong. Apparenly my registry is corrupted, because safe mode simply won't start. I chose it in the advanced boot menu, all the .sys files flashed by and then I got a black screen with a flickering underscore up in the left, mocking me. I've waited for at least 15 minutes, and the only thing I could do was a hard reset. Normal mode is still working, mind you.

Fast forward some google searching, and I find the repair option for Windows XP (mentioned in the sticky on this board), but for some reason the installer will not see I have windows installed (even though it warns me that there is already an operationg system installed on the C partition if I try to continue the installation). I am using a legitimate, non OEM CD (which includes Service pack 1a) on a legitimate, non OEM install from said CD. Since the other option in the "repair Windows XP"-sticky (this one: http://support.micro...b;en-us;q307545) requires administrator rights, I was wondering if I had any other options that will get my into safe mode. I know the only option is probably reďnstalling windows but obviously I would like to keep this as a last resort. So do any of you maybe have some suggestions which you could share with me when you're finished laughing? ^^

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I might be without internet for a few days (around the weekend) so it might take a while before I can respond to any ideas.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi Sgt. Criesalot
If you still require assistance with this issue let us know and we will assist you.