Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Password Help

• Please log in to reply

jeepers2001

jeepers2001

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Somebody please help. I am new here and not very computer savvy...kind of why I'm here.

Anyway, I reset my admin password (my son somehow figured it out) and cannot remember it. Yes even with the "hint". Like an idiot, I did not make a recovery disk. How do I recover or change the password? I found a youtube video that said I could do it using the command prompt but, after following all the directions, I get the message "access denied system error 5".

How do I get myself out of this mess? I need access to my account for work and am going crazy because I have to use my son's account and the parental controls are set to High and won't let me do anything. Please help.

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
No help can be given for passwords.Sorry :(

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
jeepers2001

Firstly Welcome to GeekstoGo.

What rockmilk has stated is in essence 100% correct

From our Terms of Use

Due to the nature of online help we are not able to verify ownership, and will not be able to help bypass or recover any user passwords, cd keys, license codes, serial numbers, etc.

Before a final decision is made, on the progress or otherwise of the thread, and presuming that the restrictions on your son`s account DO NOT prohibit a screenshot.
Send me one please of the User Accounts Window via Control Panel.

Key print screen key
Start
Accessories
Paint
edit tab
paste
the image will appear
File tab
Save As
default is Bitmap - that is too large - change file type to jpeg.
Save to desktop
On reply panel - Use full editor and attach screenshot.

We will then make a decision.

jeepers2001

jeepers2001

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Here you go. If this is not what you need please let me know. Also, can instructions be private messaged? I know you have to be careful with information like this.

Capture.JPG

Edited by jeepers2001, 09 December 2011 - 03:58 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
We did not want to leave the reply, in the first instance, as NO HELP CAN BE GIVEN.
Although as explained in my post that is in essence correct.

On Vista and Windows7, the facility that previously existed on XP to gain access to the built in Adminstrative account, created when the O/S was installed, by either loading Safe Mode, or keying Ctrl Alt and Delete
on the Welcome screen - depending on whether you were on XP Home or Xp Professional - no longer exists.

Presuming that your password was NOT simply created by pressing any combination of keys see this. It may, at first look, extremely basic
DID you, presuming you can remember - use upper case - (capital letters) at all

Most Vista passwords, even overly complicated ones, are often inspired by the things, places, and people in our lives.

Could your Windows Vista password have anything to do with:

• your name?
  • the name of a family member or friend?
  • a pet's name?
  • a birthday?
  • your home or office address?
  • something from your childhood?
  • a favorite food?
  • an often dialled telephone number?
  • a combination of any of the above?
I suggest you write down on paper EACH possible word you MAY have USED.

and then try them.

IF THIS FAILS and you wish to secure YOUR personal data, then I can send you a program to do that.

Do you have the installation DVD for the Operating system.
What is the Make and full model of the computer if it is branded.ie Dell Hp etc.

PLEASE BE AWARE, so you do not feel your time has been wasted - that my entry regarding our Terms of Use - on my first post is still the basis on which we work.

However we always strive to be as helpful as possible in the circumstances and that is why I decided to continue after the first response.

Bearing in mind this to further explain our Term of Use in this aspect
Due to the fact that we cannot verify the truthfulness of your request, we cannot offer any other help to recover any passwords for any system or software installed on your (or anyone Else's) computer. You may very well be asking for legitimate help in a legitimate situation but we cannot be sure of this. For all we know you could be trying to get into a parent's account or worse, someone trying to gain access to information that you have been explicitly denied access to by someone of higher authority.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
BIOS or Operating System's passwords are there for the purpose related to Security and Privacy to protect the legitimate owner of a machine. While there are many locations on the Internet that might help you learn about managing passwords for a machine's BIOS or Operating System, we at G2G do not assist in bypassing past a machine's Security and Privacy safeguards.

While such requests are often legitimate, and come from users who experience exactly the kind of problem that you post, we have no way of determining legitimate vs. not legitimate, therefore we do not respond to such requests.

However we can assist Pursuant to the Terms of use guidlines as followed:
"Due to the nature of online help we are not able to verify ownership, and will not be able to help bypass or recover any Windows user passwords, cd keys, license codes, serial numbers, etc. Infringing of intellectual property rights (such as copyright and trademark rights
"we can assist you with a reinstallation if that is what you wanted."