Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help Nasty Problems

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Elecjester

Elecjester

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello,

I am currently on a XP Pro x64 OS, with the following issues:

- I can't copy / paste / drag & drop
- I can't uninstall (windows installer says it can't be accessed)
- I can't run malwarebytes
- I have no audio (says bad direct sound driver in winamp)
- I can't open the properties of anything in services.msc
- I can't see anything on my windows task bar, have to navigate windows with alt+tab (they become hidden)
- I can't open internet explorer (instant crash)
- I can't run windows update.

** I have done the followings:

- I have run microsofts free malware / virus tools ( found nothing )
- I have run TDSSKiller ( found nothing )
- I have run kaperskys free tool - found a bunch of java exploit gremlins, of which it deleted (along with the entire java directory), which then caused windows to not be able to boot, due to consrv, which then caused me to have to install a 2nd copy of windows, to hive load my registry and manually edit the entry to allow me boot access again.
- I have also noticed my DCOM is disabled in services

I am sure there is more - but I am exhausted, I need this fixed like ASAP (i work from home on this PC) - any help would be appreciated to get this fixed up.

Formatting is NOT an option

I ran that program as per your request and here is the 'extras.txt' it generated.

Thanks so much in advance.

Attached Files

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi there I would like to see the main OTL text. Please run it again

Download RogueKiller to your desktop

• Quit all running programs
  • For Vista/Seven, right click -> run as administrator, for XP simply run RogueKiller.exe
  • When prompted, type 2 and validate
  • The RKreport.txt shall be generated next to the executable.
  • If the program is blocked, do not hesitate to try several times. If it really does not work (it could happen), rename it to winlogon.exe
Please post the contents of the RKreport.txt in your next Reply.

THEN

Re-Run RogueKiller

• Quit all running programs
  • For Vista/Seven, right click -> run as administrator, for XP simply run RogueKiller.exe
  • When prompted, type 6 and validate
  • The RKreport.txt shall be generated next to the executable.
  • If the program is blocked, do not hesitate to try several times. If it really does not work (it could happen), rename it to winlogon.exe
Please post the contents of the RKreport.txt in your next Reply.

NEXT

Download aswMBR.exe ( 1.8mb ) to your desktop.
Double click the aswMBR.exe to run it Click the "Scan" button to start scan

Posted Image

On completion of the scan click save log, save it to your desktop and post in your next reply

Posted Image

FOLLOWED BY

Do the following:
  • Click on the Start button and then choose Control Panel.
  • Click on the System and Security link.

Note: If you're viewing the Large icons or Small icons view of Control Panel, you won't see this link so just click on the Administrative Tools icon and skip to Step 4.
  • In the System and Security window, click on the Administrative Tools heading located near the bottom of the window.
  • In the Administrative Tools window, double-click on the Computer Management icon.
  • When Computer Management opens, click on Disk Management on the left side of the window, located under Storage.

After a brief loading period, Disk Management should now appear on the right side of the Computer Management window.

Note: If you don't see Disk Management listed, you may need to click on the |> icon to the left of the Storage icon.
Take a screen Shot of the Disk Management Window and attach the screen shot to your reply.

FINALLY

Download OTL to your Desktop
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Select All Users
  • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in
    netsvcs
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
    /md5start
    consrv.dll
    explorer.exe
    winlogon.exe
    Userinit.exe
    svchost.exe
    /md5stop
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\NetBT /s
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\NetBIOS /s
    C:\Windows\assembly\tmp\U\*.* /s
    %Temp%\smtmp\1\*.*
    %Temp%\smtmp\2\*.*
    %Temp%\smtmp\3\*.*
    %Temp%\smtmp\4\*.*
    CREATERESTOREPOINT
  • Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Post both logs

Elecjester

Elecjester

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for the reply essex - your the only one from a half dozen sites who has even offered one.

Sadly, two days was much too long to wait (I use this PC to work from home) so I spent ALL of yesterday (like literally 15hrs+) backing up data, reformatting and installing/upgrading to windows 7 ultimate.

Thanks once again for taking the time to reply though - this thread can be closed now.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
As long as you are happy now :)