Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP mini windows 7 compressed bootmgr

• Please log in to reply

Matt Cook

Matt Cook

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey all,

I have a HP mini 1116nr that my girlfriend accidentally compressed my bootmgr and now it is prompting for a warm boot (ctrl alt del). so I searched for an answer and found this site! anyhow I have tried the F11 and esc to go into the system restore and it doesnt work. I did a search for a solution and found "use the cd that came with your PC". well, I would, if my mini had a cd rom ON the mini, and it does not. so I tried making a USB flash for MIE. worked great! Only one small problem, the girlfriend uses this mini all the time (she loves it and I hate it lol) and doesnt have any idea how to use the MIE/Linux that I flashed to the mini, and TBH its not all that user friendly. so, what I am looking for is either a flash recovery image of a windows 7 ultimate 32x system (i have the product key) for a mini or a vista or even an XP recovery image. so if someone would be so kind as to just point me in the correct direction as to where i can find this elusive beast, I can do the work on my own without the step by step walk through. By the way, I know that the HP site has a Flash image for windows, that is the one I used, and I got linux, so if there is ANOTHER site that anyone knows of I would be most appreciative.

Sorry if I sound cynical, but long days at work and being greeted by an irritable girlfriend that cant use her PC for school make for an unhappy Matt. :P

Edited by Matt Cook, 08 December 2011 - 10:41 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Don't know if this helps but neosmart has recovery iso's for $10. This is a 166mb recovery iso that has nothing else included.

http://neosmart.net/...m-repair-discs/

Cybernet has the same one free.

http://cybernetnews....-recovery-disc/

No guarantee on these as i have not used them. I have several microsoft windows 7 disks that i use for repairing comps.

SRX660

Matt Cook

Matt Cook

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you

Matt Cook

Matt Cook

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
OK. so I downloaded the ISO file and I get this message:
" SYSLINUX 3.53 Debian-2007-12-11 EBIOS Copyright © 1994-2007 H. Peter Anvin
Could not find kernal image: linux
boot:_"

In other words, its not reading the USB ISO image for the flash?

so I said "hmmm, I wonder what system I am actually running then."
I warm boot the mini and it loads fine (w/o the flash drive, of course) and I check the settings and I get this screen:

HP MI (mobile Internet)
Release 1.2
Kernel Linux 2.6.24-22-lpia
GNOME 2.22.3

next order of business, I called HP tech support and explained all the situation, bear in mind that this Mini does NOT have a CD-ROM drive and was running Windows 7 ultimate 32x.

Kumar, the HP tech support, said that I need to BUY the WINDOWS XP DVD package, and reinstall windows XP onto my system. And that the PC had a Windows XP OS when I bought it. Say what?! I explained that I had WINDOWS 7 Ultimate 32x and I DO NOT have a CD-ROM drive on my PC. "Well you're going to have to buy a external CD-ROM for your laptop then aren't you? Is there anything else I can help you with today sir?"
WOW!!! What great technical service!!!!

So long story short, I dont have windows on the mini, tech support was rude, the ISO file didnt work for the mini, and I have no cd drive or system discs for the mini.

So heres the next question. I have a working OS on this mini, a very un-user friendly one, there is NO working ISO file for OS to go to a windows (factory) image. The end result I want is my original (WHEN PURCHASED) WINDOWS 7 ultimate 32x or even a VISTA or XP windows. What do I need to do to get there?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I looked up your mini and it does say it is supposed to have Win XP SP3 from the factory. How it got Win 7 ultimate i have no idea but if it does have a 16 gig SSD drive (solid state hard drive) the OS is taking up most of the drive. My desktop Win 7 home is 13 gigs right now. If you do not mind going back to Win XP i can send you a win XP disk that you can use to install XP on the comp. If you would like to do this please message me here on the forum to get the needed information. If you need to install the OS from a flash drive i can try to make a bootable XP install for that to send to you.

SRX660

Matt Cook

Matt Cook

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It was a demo version from Best Buy, lol I bought it because it had the Windows 7 ultimate on it with the product key already installed and i didnt have to jack with it lol. You are correct sir, it DOES have the 16 Gig SSD in the computer, probably why it was running so slow and had memory issues every 5 hrs or so online...

PM sent

Thank you so much for your help.