Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer restarts when I change the resolution.

• Please log in to reply

kr580

kr580

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Sometimes when I try to change the resolution of my monitor my computer restarts mid-change. Like I'll select the resolution I want and click "OK". The screen then goes black and the monitor tries to reboot with a different resolution but it restarts when it's black. Then it boots up again and says "Your system has suffered a serious error."

It happens like 75% of the time I try to change the resolution. And all the restarts are automatic... I don't choose to restart anything.

Does anyone have any ideas of what's wrong and if/how I can fix it?

Thanks - Kevin :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
update video drivers

kr580

kr580

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Where do I find what kind of driver I have?

Thanks - Kevin

kr580

kr580

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Now I'm thinking the monitor can't handle the graphics somehow... or the video card can't handle the graphics.

Every time I change the resolution it restarts and now I have a full-screen game I play (just downloaded it again after not having it for about 6 months). It has a small window to start and I click "play" and it suddenly goes to full screen. But once it goes full-screen my computer restarts.

So it seems sudden changes overdo it and it auto restarts. Any ideas?

- Kevin

Jolen98

Jolen98

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
open up the case of computer and see what type of vid card u have then search on google to find the drivers

kr580

kr580

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

open up the case of computer and see what type of vid card u have then search on google to find the drivers

View Post

I already did that and downloaded a new driver for it but it still sucks...

Jolen98

Jolen98

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
sorry i dont know how to help u some1 on here will dont worry