Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Just a Bag of Bones

• Please log in to reply

John Bull

John Bull

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I recently updated CCleaner and found to my horror that it had installed Google Chrome on my PC. I am the proud long user of Firefox and have been for many years with nothing but admiration for this wonderful system.

Well, having heard many comments about this "marvellous" innovation from the Google Kindergarten, I thought it worth giving a try. So I had a go at it.

Up it came, looking as bare as an empty box. OK, I did manage to import my Bookmarks from Firefox and also my beautiful google Home Page background, but it all stopped there.

I found I was missing :- Keyscrambler, NoScript, Spellcheck, Autofill, Highlight, Password savers, so I had to re-invent the wheel on every site by entering from scratch my user name and password, none of which I could remember (Firefox entered these automatically and also records them on Options), plus many other facilities that were not available. plus no drop down tab to show recent browser history.

GOD ! Google do not even allow me to install their own toolbar on Chrome !

Quite honestly, the entire experience of Chrome took me back to the Stone Age. Whereas Firefox is akin to being kitted out in the complete, luxurious and handsome attire of a man-about-town, Chrome was like walking naked wearing only a Jock-strap and a Bowler hat.
It was like being on the toilet and then finding that the toilet paper roll was empty.

Well, to all you people who reckon that the Sun shines out of Chrome`s Googlistic backside, my answer is - KEEP IT and enjoy the sheer austerity of it.

Me ? I will have the greatest pleasure in uninstalling Chrome using Revo Uninstaller to get rid of every piece of Chrome contamination on my PC and continue to wallow in the absolute luxury of Firefox.

How Google could possibly come up with such a bag of bones as Chrome is beyond my imagination.

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I'm going to move this topic to the Discussion forum, as you're clearly not asking for help. I don't quite understand your deep and abiding hatred of Google; this is not the first time you've posted and bashed them. I personally dumped Firefox for Chrome, as I like the minimalist feel to it, the fact that I can type a search term into the address bar and perform the search. I dislike the clutter of toolbars at the top of my browser. However, browsers are really a personal preference. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that it's awful, nor does it mean that Google is the worse company ever.

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

I'm going to move this topic to the Discussion forum, as you're clearly not asking for help. I don't quite understand your deep and abiding hatred of Google; this is not the first time you've posted and bashed them. I personally dumped Firefox for Chrome, as I like the minimalist feel to it, the fact that I can type a search term into the address bar and perform the search. I dislike the clutter of toolbars at the top of my browser. However, browsers are really a personal preference. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that it's awful, nor does it mean that Google is the worse company ever.

My dear Sari,

I must contest your accusation that I have an abiding hatred of Google and I have never said or even inferred that Google is the worse company ever. Neither have I "bashed" them, only criticized them in plain terms when they deserved it. These statements are completely untrue and comprise unjustified comments made against a poster who just happens to have different opinions to yourself.

if all you want as you have said is to enter something in a search bar, click it and get the output, then fine, each to his own, but some of us like a little more from life than that. We happen to appreciate a myriad of accessories that make life easy and a pleasure to experience.

If that is all you want out of life when browsing the Internet, then use http://duckduckgo.com/ or http://www.dogpile.com/ you will love it. Chrome pales into insignificance.

YES, I have criticized Google on several occasions, in common with tens of thousands of other users worldwide. If you had read the many posts on other Forum`s including Google`s own that I have, you really would be shocked at the venomous reaction to Google`s dictatorial attitude towards their customers. It all makes my own comments sound like I am the Chairman of the Google Fan Club.

Repeated posts and Emails to Google directly made by thousands of users are simply ignored.

Now, let us put the record straight. I think that Google is an essential and extremely versatile organisation that the Internet world simply cannot do without. Google is the best thing that ever happened in the PC world and their popularity supports this.

What is wrong is that Google have become so monolithic and powerful that they have developed dictatorial and autocratic attitudes, with no apparent feeling for their customers views or feedback. So they go ahead making changes and adding odds and sods to their wonderful innovations regardless of what their users think and rarely give these customers the option of either hiding or deleting these various modifications, even though the world reaction is often in opposition.

I hope this explanation neutralises your unfair and adverse comments against me.
It is highly likely that thousands of users love to ride in a Rolls-Royce rather than a sand buggy. I know I do.

Just another point - I cannot cook, but that does not make me the worst engineer on Planet Earth. Neither does the fact that Google cannot design a simple competitive browser make them the worst company on Planet Earth. We cannot all be good at everything.

I have Google as my Home Page and a Gmail account, I like Google very much with all their gadgets and facilities, but not their dictatorial and unreasonable attitude towards customers or their complete disregard for customers comments and feedback. After all, it is the customers who know best about user practices, not the bean-brains in Google`s playschool.

PS - Long Live Google, but hopefully more customer friendly.

Edited by John Bull, 11 December 2011 - 07:36 AM.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts

My dear Sari,

I must contest your accusation that I have an abiding hatred of Google and I have never said or even inferred that Google is the worse company ever. Neither have I "bashed" them, only criticized them in plain terms when they deserved it. These statements are completely untrue and comprise unjustified comments made against a poster who just happens to have different opinions to yourself.

if all you want as you have said is to enter something in a search bar, click it and get the output, then fine, each to his own, but some of us like a little more from life than that. We happen to appreciate a myriad of accessories that make life easy and a pleasure to experience.

If that is all you want out of life when browsing the Internet, then use http://duckduckgo.com/ or http://www.dogpile.com/ you will love it. Chrome pales into insignificance.

YES, I have criticized Google on several occasions, in common with tens of thousands of other users worldwide. If you had read the many posts on other Forum`s including Google`s own that I have, you really would be shocked at the venomous reaction to Google`s dictatorial attitude towards their customers. It all makes my own comments sound like I am the Chairman of the Google Fan Club.

Repeated posts and Emails to Google directly made by thousands of users are simply ignored.

Now, let us put the record straight. I think that Google is an essential and extremely versatile organisation that the Internet world simply cannot do without. Google is the best thing that ever happened in the PC world and their popularity supports this.

What is wrong is that Google have become so monolithic and powerful that they have developed dictatorial and autocratic attitudes, with no apparent feeling for their customers views or feedback. So they go ahead making changes and adding odds and sods to their wonderful innovations regardless of what their users think and rarely give these customers the option of either hiding or deleting these various modifications, even though the world reaction is often in opposition.

I hope this explanation neutralises your unfair and adverse comments against me.
It is highly likely that thousands of users love to ride in a Rolls-Royce rather than a sand buggy. I know I do.

Just another point - I cannot cook, but that does not make me the worst engineer on Planet Earth. Neither does the fact that Google cannot design a simple competitive browser make them the worst company on Planet Earth. We cannot all be good at everything.

I have Google as my Home Page and a Gmail account, I like Google very much with all their gadgets and facilities, but not their dictatorial and unreasonable attitude towards customers or their complete disregard for customers comments and feedback. After all, it is the customers who know best about user practices, not the bean-brains in Google`s playschool.

PS - Long Live Google, but hopefully more customer friendly.

Oooooh! I don't think he knows Miss Sari very well do he? :no: