Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting Windows to recognize my processor's clock rate?

• Please log in to reply

zxcymn

zxcymn

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
I recently built a new gaming system, and I have a 2500k 3.3GHz processor. I overclocked it to 4GHz, but in the computer properties window it still says "Intel® Core™ i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.30GHz"

On every other person's computer, I've seen Windows update the speed. However, mine seems to think it's still rated at 3.3? I ran some benchmarks and it's definitely rated at 4GHz now (3.98 or so to be accurate). Is there a way to make it update? I've ran the Windows Experience Index three times.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Please post a screenshot of the Windows Experience Index as it stands on your computer and attach it to your next post. I have a feeling you're looking at the wrong line or misunderstanding this screen.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
What does CPUz say?

Note depending on the CPU, the motherboard, and how it was overclocked, the speed shown may or may not reflect your overlocking speed. In some cases, since displaying that screen takes no horsepower, the CPU toggles down to conserve power.

zxcymn

zxcymn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Please post a screenshot of the Windows Experience Index as it stands on your computer and attach it to your next post. I have a feeling you're looking at the wrong line or misunderstanding this screen.

I meant that I was running it just in case it would update on the computer properties window. The actual WEI doesn't tell you anything, but with every other computer I've used the properties window would update with the processor's new clock rate.

What does CPUz say?

Note depending on the CPU, the motherboard, and how it was overclocked, the speed shown may or may not reflect your overlocking speed. In some cases, since displaying that screen takes no horsepower, the CPU toggles down to conserve power.

My processor is underclocked to 1.5GHz when not in use. 3.98GHz under load.

Thanks for replying guys.