Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hdtv for monitor

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I am contemplating on buying a 32" HDTV then just use it as a computer monitor...
does anyone have any FIRSTHAND experience doing this

I only have one eye that works and its only so-so

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday happyrock, not seen you post for a while.

There was I just thinking you where a pirate. I have the same problem, no right eye, now about 5% in the left.
I do not have a solution par Se.

At the moment I am using a 21 inch LCD. I touch type, so that is not a problem,use a larger font. Need a magnifying glass for use with a browner, tried playing games one handed, get killed pretty fast,

I will be going to this organization here in the new year, I am sure there will be similar in the USA. info page, http://www.visionaus...ch=Go!&page=579

Some of the younger optometrists are pretty clued up on visual aids like special glasses for watching TV, so that may be worth investigating as well.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
thanks for the link...

I had 5 surgeries on the "good" eye since last December 28th...
about 1 month of that time I was totally blind...
about 3 months with oil in the eye and could only see things up close using a magnifying glass..
anything at a distance is blurry
I use a 22" monitor with it set for high contrast a large font and can get by the way things are now but...

my hope is that going to a larger hdtv will make things big enough that I can see reasonably well so I don't have to do so much scrolling

it can't just be bigger if its not clear

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
First hand? I don't use a TV as a monitor now, but have in the past and have helped others deal with the PITA they can be. The problems mostly stem from lousy HDMI handshaking. Some TVs and graphics cards communicate well together, some don't - especially if trying to get audio through the HDMI connection as well.

That said, you need to be looking at the resolutions, not just the screen size. 720p (1,280x720) is technically considered HD, though as a computer monitor, may create fuzzy detail. And for my nearly 60 year old eyes, fuzzy is bad regardless how big.

So for example, when sitting up close and reading text, I would much rather have this 1080P 1920 x 1080 32" Vizio than this 720P 1366 x 768 32" Viewsonic. Even though the text will be smaller with the higher resolution, it will be more "crisp" and easier to read - for me anyway.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
thanks for the input...

fuzzy is bad regardless how big

yep...I had a hard time convincing my daughter that bigger but blurry is just as bad as small and blurry

I had already planned to go with 1080p...I do not plan on using the tv's sound at all...
so right after the first of the year when I get back from visiting the family for xmas I will but a 32" hdtv and test drive it