I know what you need for a basic computer, but i was wondering what I could cut out to make it as light and cheap as possible.
1. Motherboard (most likely needed)
2. Processor (most likely needed, but could get away with an old, or very cheap one)
3. Memory (most likely needed, again could get away with 1gb)
4. Case (could get away with a very simple small case, and would prefer that)
5. Power supply (a standard laptop battery would allow this to run for a long time seeing as how it will most likely be a screen similar to the kindle (or what first comes to mind, the original GameBoy)
6. DVD RW drive (not needed, not putting one in)
7. Hard disk drive (Can I get away with using a flash drive mounted inside? I want it to load everything from a flash drive anyway, and a small 2gb (internal) flash drive could hold MS Word, and some quickly put together "OS" to allow Word to function.)
8. Video card (if your motherboard does not have an integrated one, and would I need one for plain text?)
9. CPU cooler AKA heatsink. (Again is it needed if it's as simple as I want it to be?)
10. Thermal compound for between the CPU and heatsink (only needed if the heatsink is)
11. Operating system (needed but like I said I'd just put together something to boot up and run MS Word)
12. Monitor (Where could I pick up the screen listed prior (like the original GameBoy Screens)
13. Keyboard and mouse (mouse wouldn't be needed, and keyboard would be a basic laptop keyboard w/ arrow keys, and a number pad)
(I think I basically understand what I need, and what isn't too important but a second opinion is sometimes good, and sometimes needed. lol)
After that would I build it like a standard computer. Then the only thing is making the OS to run MS Word, and recognize flash drives.
I'd want the screen and case to be small, netbook sized, around 7-10 inches.
Also if you could give me a few links to where I could purchase the best parts for this job that would be amazing.