Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Moving files easily from old XP tower to new Win7 tower

• Please log in to reply

Tikatu

Tikatu

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
My Christmas present this year is a new eMachines tower that runs Windows7. My old eMachines tower runs XP and has an 80GB slave drive on which I have a lot of pictures and music. My daughter has me burning things from my documents on the master drive to CDs, but there's far too much for me to do this with my slave drive - it would take forever! Before I even crack open the box on this new tower, I really need to know if there's an easier way to move those files from the slave to the shiny new 1T hard drive. (I know I can move stuff over from the master drive to the slave; there is enough room for the documents at least.)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Advertisements

Akabilk

Akabilk

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
If the slave hard-drive is just a data drive with stored personal data (not containing an operating system), why not just install it into your new PC as a slave hard-drive? You won't have to copy anything although it would be a good idea to back it up for safety reasons, sooner rather than latter, to a USB hard-drive.

Tikatu

Tikatu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks for replying! I could try that, though the case on my new tower is thinner than the case on my old one, and I'm thinking that the old drive won't fit. I just need to get the two connected somehow long enough to transfer the data - at least one of the folders (full of music) is well over 20GB so a USB back up might not be the quickest solution. (It would be quicker than a bunch of CDs...)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Couple of options for you to consider http://www.newegg.co...rnal-Enclosures and http://www.sabrent.c...ures/SATA-C35U/ both are available as IDE or SATA only or compatible with both they will both however act as a second drive when connected, they are examples only and I am not suggesting you purchase anything at the links, I will do this if you decide it is what you want to do.

Tikatu

Tikatu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Cleaning up this thread here...

I ended up going to my local, independent computer dealer and bought an enclosure for the slave drive, then used that to move the majority of stuff over. Had to go back a couple of times for things on the main OS disk, but I seem to have everything I need right now. Thanks for the advice! You can mark this as resolved.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for letting us know :thumbsup: