Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compatible CD/DVD-RW

• Please log in to reply

Arch46

Arch46

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello everyone,
I am not the brightest bulb on the tree when it comes to computers, but I have done a few simple things to my unit like adding memory and changing out the old CD-RW with a CD/DVD-RW.
The latter is now worn out and I am in need of some help finding a replacement that will plug in properly.

Dell Dimension 4500
System Specs: Windows XP home edition;Version 2002
Service Pack 3
Intel( R)Pentium ® 4 CPU 1.80GHz;
179GHz 1.00 GB of RAM

The original CD-RW was a Lite-On, Model LTR-24102M,
the present worn out unit is a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR 116D.
Both of these are out of stock and unavailable as far as I can tell.

So I ordered a new
Lite-On Super AllWrite 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive - Bulk - IHAS124-04 (Black)

After I received it I found the connections on the back are completely different from my old units.
I just don't know enough to do myself any good on this, any help would be appreciated on a unit that will work with the least amount of complications. Or even a place that still has one of the Pioneers.
Thanks,Arch

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Hi Arch and :welcome:

Your original drives use the old, phasing out EIDE (now called PATA, also called IDE) interface and the drive you ordered is for the SATA interface. You can get a PCI to SATA adapter card but folks with older XP system have had mixed results with them because XP does not support SATA natively. It would probably be better to return that drive and reorder a new one that uses the EIDE interface, such as one of these.

Arch46

Arch46

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I will return it for a IDE.

Thank you for helping out an old geezer,
Arch

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff