Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Re-installing a mouse

• Please log in to reply

purple21

purple21

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Recently, I took our computer down and dismantled it (just unplugged every hardware component)to get it out of the way. I left it that way for a few weeks until I reconnected it all. When it was booted up, it refused to recognize the mouse. Now this mouse is the one that came with the computer and has worked before, although I think it has given us this kind of trouble before. The mouse is a USB mouse with a regular mouse port adapter. How do you go about re-installing the mouse? Thanks. :thumbsup:

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Are you talking about one of these?

[attachment=54447:usb-ps2-adapter.jpg]

If so, can't you connect the USB mouse directly to a computer USB port without the adapter? Does it work that way?

purple21

purple21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Yes I am. And yes, I could; I haven't tried it that way because it's always worked with the adapter. I'll try it without it though first chance I get. ;)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
With the adapter connected, what does Device Manager show for your mouse? Click on Start then Run, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter. Expand Mouse and other pointing devices.

Right click on your mouse and select Uninstall. Since the mouse is not working this will have no immediate effect. Shutdown the computer. Remove the mouse and make sure it is firmly seated in the adapter then put it back into the PS2 mouse port and power up the computer.

See if it sees the mouse and loads the drive for it.

purple21

purple21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I've been terribly busy, and haven't tried it yet; it's not our main computer. But I can't "click" or right click on anything when the mouse won't work with the computer, and I'm not very practiced on using the keyboard only, but I guess I can try. I know the mouse works, though, since I used it the other day with my laptop (without the adapter of course).

purple21

purple21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
The mouse adapter must be the problem, because I put the mouse in the USB plug and it worked fine.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
There is not much to those adapters but I've had problems with them many times. They work on some computers and not others. I'd leave it in the USB port.