Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with External HHD Enclosure - Reading Files

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

chippern73

chippern73

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
My motherboard on my Gateway computer stopped working. So as a suggestion I bought an exterior Hard drive enclosure so I could get to my files on the HDD that were not backed up.

Question is how do I get the files off the hard drive. When I try to open My Documents, I get an error message that says it is not accessible. I assume because the computer I am currently using doesn't show me as the owner or administrator. Can you help?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Not exactly clear on what you are doing. Did you install your original HD from the Gateway into the enclosure? And then from there, attach the enclosure to a 2nd computer?

If so, then you should be able simply use Windows Explorer (the program you use when you drill down into drives and folders under My Computer (in XP, Computer in Windows 7). And from there copy them you this 2nd computer.

chippern73

chippern73

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I did take the original HD from my Gateway and placed it in the enclosure. Then I attached it via USB to the second computer. It became Drive E. I then tried opening the files on Drive E (Gateway HD). Some folders were accessable, however, My Documents, as well as a couple others would not open.

I did not try to use the Windows Explorer / My Computer option. I'll give that a try and get back to you. I do appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Chuck

chippern73

chippern73

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I couldn't use the explorer to open the files. Here is the error msg I get.

ERROR MSG: The 'E:\Documents and Setting/Owner.Chuck-Norman\*.*' Isn't accessible. The folder may be located in an unavailable location, protected with a password, or the filename contains a/ or \

Someone suggested that I buy a USB to IDE/SATA adapter. It will turn my HD to a mass storage unit.

Have you used this type of device before and does it work in such a way that I can read my files?

Thanks.
Chuck

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

a USB to IDE/SATA adapter. It will turn my HD to a mass storage unit.

That's really all an enclosure is. The only difference is the enclosure includes a pretty case.

Since you can access some of the files, that suggests the drive has problems. I might suggest you run Error Checking. You might then have some luck using a file recovery program like Recuva, from the makers of CCleaner.

chippern73

chippern73

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Digerati,

Thanks for the information. I'll do the chkdsk first and then if that doesn't work I'll do something else.

Chuck

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
It looks like this is being worked in two places. http://www.geekstogo...age__p__2090659 so will close this one.