Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

security 2012 virus

• Please log in to reply

melint

melint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
I am still not able to get online I was able to merge the reg though.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Start, Run, cmd, OK then type what you see in each code box(with an Enter after each line)

net  start  ipsec

If it says the service is starting or is already started then let's see if DHCP is started or will start:

net  start  dhcp

If it starts or is already started then we should be able to get on line:

ipconfig  /release

ipconfig  /renew

Does this work?

melint

melint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
nope still says invalid. i forgot to mention earlier that at the permissions for root section, under group or user names, all i had listed was everyone and system. i highlighted everyone and put a check in the full control box. that is when i was able to merge the reg you requested. i did not have an administrator title to highlight. maybe this is a problem not sure, but thought you should know

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
"Everyone" should work but it's odd that administrator is not there.

I think we need to reset the permissions to default.

Unfortunately we need a program from Microsoft.

Download SubInACL.exe

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

By default it installs the tool in C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\

You will have to download the file then copy it to the sick PC. Save the file to C:\ on the sick pc.

Also Download and Save the attached file, reset.zip, right click on it and Extract all and copy the reset.cmd file to C:\

Start, Run, cmd, OK Type with an Enter after each line:

cd  \

reset.cmd

melint

melint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
still can't run it. i downloaded both files to the c drive of the sick pc, but it does nothing after i put cd \
reset.cmd
so i clicked enter again and it says subinac1 is not recognized as an internal or external command operable program or batch file ggrrrrr

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
I expect you downloaded the subinacl.msi and did not install it. Go ahead and run it on the sick PC and it will install subinacl.exe in c:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools

If that is the case then move reset.cmd to c:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools and

cd  \Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools

reset.cmd

melint

melint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
you were correct i installed and save the other to c then start/run/cmd and typed what you put. it began scanning really quickly, but now a black screen with a red stripe on top is continually running is this normal?

melint

melint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Ran the code scan and it ran for 10 minutes and now it says: HKEY_CLASSES_rOOT\zapfile: 6 Unable to ewnumerate subkeys 1450 Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service Done 1 Modified 1 failed 0 syntax errors

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Open regedit again and see if you can take ownership of the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\zapfile

Don't know what a zapfile is supposed to be but it is on my XP too. Both Administrators and System should have Full Control of the key.

If you can take ownership, check the box about subkeys too while you are there.

If you are able to take ownership then run reset.cmd again see if it gets further this time.

melint

melint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
I went to reg edit and found the zap file I then opened The name is Default
The Type Reg_SZ
The Data Software installation Settings
If i right click it My options are Modify or Modify Binary Data and Delete

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Don't think you found the right thing.

Open regedit, find

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT click on the + in front of it.

zapfile should be in the list under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

Right click on zapfile and select Permissions.

If you don't see zapfile under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT then it may be hiding. Right click on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and select Permissions then take ownership of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. Make sure the box is checked where it says Replace permission Entries on all Child Objects.

melint

melint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
i checked that way and yes my zapfile has full control in admin and system also has subkeys too. i didn't change anything it was already like that. i am running the scan again, but looks like the same story so far, there is a red stripe that runs for awhile and then lots of fast scrolling and then the red stripe again says syntax errors alot and regsetkeysecurity next to avast but scan just stopped and disappeared with no error code, i'm guessing this is a good sign

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Sounds better anyway.

What does

net  start  ipsec

say now?

melint

melint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
net start ipsec says the requested service has already been started

net start dhcp says system error 1068 has occurred the dependency service or group failed to start

and for ipconfig /release an internal error occurred the request is not supported unable to query host name

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Check the other two dependencies:

net start afd

net start tcpip