Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replaced PSU and am being greeted by slow boot up times.

• Please log in to reply

sk8er982002

sk8er982002

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hey guys and gals. I recently had to replace my power supply (PSU) because my old one went out on me. I ordered a new one and got it installed this afternoon. Unfortunately after getting everything hooked up and powered, I was greeted with a 30+ minute boot up time for Windows 7 and it still doesn't bring up explorer (black screen with cursor but it does load up a few of my programs). I can ctrl-alt-delete and get the task manager up but trying to manually start explorer still does nothing. The system was working fine before the old PSU died. The new PSU is a 750W compared to 700W with the old one so I'm pretty sure its nothing wrong with this new PSU. What I am curious to know is that when the old PSU went out, what are the chances it hurt the other parts in my system. My thoughts are that it could be the CPU (which I really hope not) or something with my hard drive got corrupted. I'm hoping someone here will have some insight to what might be wrong. If you need any more info, I'd be more than willing to give it. Thanks in advance for the help.

Advertisements

sk8er982002

sk8er982002

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Nevermind. It was just a loose SATA cable. I'm surprised my computer was doing anything at all then.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I am glad you got it sorted out and thanks for letting us know the solution.