Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Remove Pin Holding Notebook Screen

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

Have a motherboard here with no power. The power supply tested OK and the plug is still secure on the MB. I've checked other components and now believe the motherboard is at fault.

I started disassembling the laptop to remove the old MB while I'm waiting on the new one to come in the mail. I'm close, really close in fact, but got stuck in one spot. The screen attaches to the base of the laptop on either end with these two metal flaps (one on each end). Each flap had one screw to hold it to the base which I removed, of course. There seems to be, on these metalic plates, another connection to the base of some kind however as I am not able to just life up on the screen to remove it (as it looks like I should be able to do). All of the wires to the MB have been safely removed and again, I pulled the screws. I see a small "peg" looking connection that, from my best description, looks like a screw with no slits in the top on either end. For some reason, the VGA connector on the MB is screwed into this metal plate and I won't be able to remove it until I get the screen off. I just can't figure out what those little "non-slitted" screws are called. I tried lifting straight up thinking they were just used for alignment or something but they don't budge and I'm not going to pull on it hard enough to snap something.

Any of you seen a connection like this and if so, how can I remove it?

This is an ASUS G60J notebook. I tried to find a video on this but am only coming up with the G7x series which both has a different screen connector and is a different frame. Searching the regular web doesn't seem to help either.

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements