Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! New build troubleshooting

• Please log in to reply

jdparham

jdparham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
The problem with that though is that I need to connect my iphone to the computer to sync and stuff. I really feel like this is a software problem, maybe some conflicting drivers or something. I mean I have a 650w psu so that shouldn't be the issue.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I mean I have a 650w psu so that shouldn't be the issue.

I am not suggesting it is drawing too much power for the PSU, I am suggesting it may be drawing too much current for the USB controller for that USB port. For USB 2.0 that is 500mA maximum and for USB 3.0, it is 900mA @ 5V. That normally is a decent amount for typically USB devices but an iPhone may be pushing that. Also note that on many motherboards today, not all of the USB ports are 3.0. So try a different USB pair. And, as mentioned above, a self-powered hub may still be the best option. A hub that has its own power supply will use the computer's USB port for data only.

And in case it is a software problem, make sure you have the latest drivers from Apple.

You might also try connecting your iPhone to another computer and see what happens.