Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A Key Appears to be Stuck

• Please log in to reply

chantal7

chantal7

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hello !!!

It's an acer laptop
Windows Vista

I cannot get past the user log in screen, because a key is constantly being pressed so I can't type in the correct password.

I don't know how to re-install windows. I have no CD's. I also am a huge noob to all of this stuff, didn't think something like this would be complicated. Shame on me for putting a password on it a few weeks ago, now I've made everything complicated.

Some other things to note: apparently while my laptop was 'closed' it made some alarm beeping sounds according to my mom. I know the beeps is like a code but I don't know how many times it beeped because I was away at the time.

What do I do??

I have tried to boot in safe mode, but brings me back to the same screen where I need a password. Could this be a virus? Also, I have no way of telling what key it is. If this is the wrong place to post, I can post else where and this can be closed!

Thank you guys, for your time.

Edited by chantal7, 15 December 2011 - 09:35 PM.

Advertisements

chantal7

chantal7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Ok. I've figured out that the key is the number 5 - but it does not want to fix itself. I've taken the key off, looks clean. Don't know what else to try. I think I may have just solved the problem, just to buy a new keyboard.

Edited by chantal7, 15 December 2011 - 11:54 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I hope that is it. Replacing the keyboard on a notebook is a challenge but can be done. You can't tell if the spring is stuck with the key cap off? And then maybe work it loose?

chantal7

chantal7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
It's not a notebook, just a laptop, a little bigger hehe. When the key is off, it has a rubber circular looking thing, with plastic black square looking pieces that the actual key clips into. I can't see anything else. It looks like the other keys so I can't really physically see what's wrong with it... I have already taken off the keyboard actually to see if there was anything underneath, it wasn't so bad. The only part that confuses me is the ribbon part when actually detaching it. I'm not sure which way to pull it off when I replace it.

I found the right keyboard I might buy from amazon.ca

http://www.amazon.ca...24014115&sr=8-9

Edited by chantal7, 16 December 2011 - 10:19 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Notebook - laptop - same thing these days and not to be confused with netbook. I am pushing to rid the word "laptop" from human speech because notebooks should NEVER be run when sitting on your lap! Notebooks already are inherently more prone to heat related issues, they don't need to be operated on a lap (or carpet or bed) where they get even less air circulating around them!

I'm not sure which way to pull it off when I replace it.

Hopefully, you will be able to tell by looking at the replacement.

chantal7

chantal7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Yeah, I have heard that they are not to be used on the lap/bed/etc. It makes sense because they do get very hot! And I am guilty for doing that sometimes.

I will hopefully be able to tell by the replacement, I don't imagine it's too hard to do. Thank you!

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Keep us posted. And next time you want to put you notebook on something soft that will affect proper cooling, use a Notebook Cooling Pad w/ext. power supply.

chantal7

chantal7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Okay sounds good. Thanks! I will keep you guys updated. Right now I've ordered the new keyboard, so I imagine I'll get it within a week or so.

chantal7

chantal7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Okay, sorry fore the late reply! Christmas & new years kept me busy, as I am sure it did with everyone else. I got the keyboard and replaced it with the old, and all is working great. Thanks again for your time here in trying to help!

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Thanks for the followup.