Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BAD POOL HEADER BSoD Vista 32Bit

• Please log in to reply

Voland

Voland

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
I am in a bad spot here and have alot of stuff I still need to get done but my computer is experienceing some problems.

I uploaded the Dump file...

I recently upgraded my RAM CPU MOTHERBOARD and VIDEO CARD.. All Drivers are up to date but I suspect OS corruption or some sort. I do not have a disk drive..

As you can see it says NTSF.SYS is the cause of the problem..

I am also getting seemingly random hangs. this normally happens when I go afk for an extended period of time. Whatever was on my screen stays there and nothing is responsive at all. no error message appears to be generated by this. Putting my computer to sleep each night or when I go away for a while seems to be a temporary work around for this.

Any advice would be great.

Attached Files

Edited by Voland, 18 December 2011 - 09:41 AM.

Advertisements

Voland

Voland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I am having more random hangs now they happen when I am actually doing something like playing music. The blue thinking light stops when this happens and music skips for eternity until I force shut down the computer.

I ran a checkdisk on my main hard drive and found no errors or bad sectors. Yet I cannot shake the feeling that this is a hard drive or OS issue.

I have ran the sfc tool twice and each time it finds and is able to repair them.

I am very concerned about this and would appreciate any advice.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I recently upgraded my RAM CPU MOTHERBOARD and VIDEO CARD

after doing this did you do a fresh install of windows...if not try repairing windows..
also try running chkdsk /r

Voland

Voland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I ran a checkdsk on both drives.. both came back clean with no errors of bad sectors.
I checked the smart status of both drives with a software and all the smart statuses said "OK"
I did not do a fresh instal because I wanted to avoid having trying to reinstall programs I no longer have source material for.

I am waiting on a part that will allow me to use my disk drive at which point I will pop in the windows disk and try a repair.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
when you swap out mobo's you HAVE to repair the OS because the old hard drive (with the OS on it) is listing components that are not there anymore and finding new stuff...a repair usually takes care of it...

Voland

Voland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
yeah the IDE to SATA converter kit I ordered will arrive on the 25th. Then I will use the windows disk and repair. Unless there is some alternative repair tool I can use.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what OS are you using...your profile says xp

Voland

Voland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I am using windows vista ultimate 32bit these days...

I got the part and tried a repair but the repair found nothing wrong with my startup... Which I guess is good. However I still experience the issues mentioned above.

I am convinced it is an OS problem. Now I just need a way to repair the problem that works better then SFC.

jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• Expert
  • 92 posts
  • MVP

As you can see it says NTSF.SYS is the cause of the problem..

The dump file you attached is ~9 months old -
Sun Mar 6 20:19:32.411 2011 (UTC - 5:00)

Are there more recent dumps?

If the bugcheck was 0x24 and named ntfs.sys, run HDD diags - SeaTools for DOS, LONG test -

http://www.techsupportforum.com/2828431-post7.html

...I recently upgraded my RAM CPU MOTHERBOARD and VIDEO CARD..."

You have essentially built a new system and Vista should be reinstalled.

Be sure to validate Vista OS - www.microsoft.com/genuine/validate

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

You have essentially built a new system and Vista should be reinstalled.

I agree... :thumbsup:

Advertisements

Voland

Voland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I am sorry that the dump file is old. I guess I uploaded the wrong one. Reinstalling the OS is not one of my options right now. I can potentially upgrade to windows 7 ultimate. Is it possible that doing so will resolve my problems?

Is there a better way to verify the integrity of the OS beyond what SFC can do? I am almost sure it is an OS problem... Yet It did not start happening until 2 weeks after installing the new motherboard, cpu and ram. So I fail to see how it is directly related to that.

I have been having problems with my OS installing updates since months before I ever upgraded or changed anything. I think the OS is messed up and the SFC results are a good indication of that. Its finding corrupt files every time I run it.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

after installing the new motherboard, cpu and ram. So I fail to see how it is directly related to that.

when you changed the mobo ram and cpu...the HAL in the drive containing the OS does not match what you have now...
it sometimes works if you repair the OS but not always...if the repair does not work you WILL have to reinstall windows...
during the reinstall windows will build a new HAL and if it really is just the OS, all will be well

Voland

Voland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
HAL?

What is a HAL? and why can't it be rebuilt or fixed without a re installation.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
here let me google that for you...
What is the hardware abstraction layer (HAL)?...hereand here ...and here...
google is your friend...use it

Voland

Voland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I am confident that the intermitence with which the problems occur indicates the source is independant of my hardware changes. Especially since it only started happening weeks after I changed my hardware.

At this point I have ruled out the hard drive. I seriously think it could be a power supply issue. Why else would both drives suddenly go offline?

As I said the blue thinking light stops entirely when these problems occur meaning the computer is not thinking. So maybe the problem is with the power supply intermittently cutting out power to the hard drives.

How can I test this?