Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BAD POOL HEADER BSoD Vista 32Bit

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Voland, if I may pitch in while happyrock is offline.

1: If you are able run the PC for a while, restart the computer, enter the BIOS then check the temps and voltages.
2: Download and run HWMonitor http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html provide a screenshot of the readings with your next reply.
3: Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;
Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload...
then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions courtesy of happyrock :thumbsup:

Post your PSU details brand, model and output please.

Advertisements

Voland

Voland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Posted Image
Posted Image

I think this is what you wanted to see yes?
My Temps look really nice, I NEVER overclock anything and I always keep my room cold.

PSU is an ANTEC TruePower 650. It's really old.

This speedfan tool is indicating to me that one of my drives is in pretty bad shape and the one in good shape is the one I had been useing.

I will need to replace at least the bad drive, however since the problems I am encountering are occurring independent of which drive I am using I can say it is probably a power supply issue.

It seems like this computer just eats money. I will need to confirm that the PSU is the culprit.

Edited by Voland, 25 December 2011 - 06:12 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
HWMonitor is not showing the voltages we need to see and Speedfan is showing the +12V as being very low so can you check in the BIOS like I asked to see if any temp and volt readings are available, the various ways of accessing the BIOS http://www.hiren.inf...bios-boot-cdrom I am not suggesting the use of any other product or service there.

Voland

Voland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
specifically what voltages and temps and I looking for the in bios?

I have a pretty bios because my board is an MSI. So I can click with my mouse in my bios.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
it will look something like this from asus...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Thanks for providing the screenshot happyrock :thumbsup:

specifically what voltages and temps and I looking for the in bios?

As you have raised concerns over the power supply to components checking the +3.3V, +5V and the +12V is suggested, at present your temps are not a concern, see the PSU tolerance table below;

Voland

Voland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I just found out one of my drives is failing or going to fail.

Current pending sector count 172
Uncorrectable sector Count 200

I attempted to use acronis to clone the entirity of my bad drive onto my good drive and it was unable to finish it froze at like 96% so I just shut off the comp and booted off of the bad drive.

I have no money so I have to wait a month and save up to buy a new HDD. I am going to get a cheap 60$ one and either start over from scratch if I can't get acronis to clone my obviously bootable partition and content from the old drive to the new one.

It is very possible that both the power supply AND the HDD are causing the intermittent failures.

The bad drive causing the bad pool header BSoD and the PSU causing the drives to lose power which is what caused the drives to be damaged in the first place.

I have an MSI Mobo and I have no real voltage menu thing that resembles what you are showing me.

Any advice on what part of the MSI graphical bios would show what you need to see?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Any advice on what part of the MSI graphical bios would show what you need to see?

Provide the model and any revision number of the MB, you may find this information located by the CPU, between the PCI slots and around the edge of the MB, we can then research your MB.

Voland

Voland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
P67A-C43 B3
Thats what it says on the box I got it in.

The Bios is a colorful GUI with mouse clicking ability. However I do not know where to look to find the voltages.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
YOU CAN GO HEREAND DOWNLOAD THE MANUAL FOR YOUR MOBO
sorry about the caps...
what you want is on page 3-17 and looks like this...

Advertisements

Voland

Voland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
i already have the manual. I know how to nav the bios. I just am not sure what specifically you want me to look for or under what menu. I will explore later today.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
its on page 3-17 in your manual...look at the screenshot in my previous post

Voland

Voland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Posted Image

Are THESE the voltages you were looking for? I got more stuff to show up including the voltages. I am still going to try and find the stuff in the bios.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Thanks for the HWMonitor update Voland, this also shows your +12V rail to be very low so confirming it in the BIOS is the next logical step.

Voland

Voland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I went to the bios and it reads as follows.

CPU Core V 1.184 V
CPU I/O 1.040 V
System Agent 0.928 V
DRAM 1.472 V
3.3 v 3.376 V
5V 5.087 V
12V 11.880 V

So even in the BIOS the 12V Rail is below 12V. What is the 12V rail responsible for? I mean what does it connect to in the system? I am getting a new PSU shortly maybe later today that is way better then the one I have and hopefully that will put me in a better position.
However I still would like to find the root cause of my problems with the current PSU.