Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Task Manager won't start

• Please log in to reply

Aoroc

Aoroc

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Greetings,

My task manager will not start up. I have it pinned to my taskbar in win7, 64 bit, and clicking it makes the icon highlight up as if the window were open, just like my google chrome is highlighted when it is open, but the highlight goes away a few seconds later and nothing ever appears. It will not run through ctrl alt delete. It will not run through ctrl shift esc. It will not run by going into windows system and double clicking icon. It will not run from cmd. It will not run from right clicking the clock. No error messages are given.

I have scanned my machine with Norton 360, completely legit, full version. Nothing found. I used Norton's "Power Eraser" tool, for a rootscan, nothing found. I downloaded malwarebytes, which other than randomly blocking utorrent's access to certain ports, found nothing. I removed it afterwards to re-use utorrent. All of these scans have been full system scans, of both my OS and major tools (flash, java, browser, etc) which is on my 64GB SSD, and my 2TB HDD which has all my various downloads and games and random programs. Nothing found.

I have checked through all the various settings I could find from web searches, and the task manager is enabled, to use. No other problems with my computer have emerged. System restoring, or booting from my Windows 7 install disk (Ultimate) and choosing "Repair my computer" I have not done yet as I would like that to be a last ditch resort, not a fan of the random problems system restoring has created over the years, like misplaced drivers or missing files in core things like flash or my security problems. Granted those were all on older computers of mine, system restore I've only had to do twice since I built this computer anyways, one due to what was believed to be a fail or glitch in my original install of windows 7 and the other being an attempt to diagnose graphics problems, which persisted after restore which ruled out windows as the culprit.

Any advice or help you can give on the matter would be greatly appreciated, I will be checking back regularly to see if there has been any replies.

Till then

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Did you select to replace Task Manager with Process Explorer?

If so, get another copy of Process Explorer and see if you can undo it from within that.

Replace Task Manager: Select the Replace Task Manager entry under the Options menu to have Process Explorer execute instead of Task Manager when you launch Task Manager. Note that this is a global setting that affects all users regardless of how they start Task Manager. After replacing Task Manager the menu item renames to Restore Task Manager and selecting it removes Process Explorer's association.

you might try this.

http://forums.orumph...ic.php?f=6&t=11

SRX660

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
See if this helps: http://windows.micro...anager-problems

Aoroc

Aoroc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
SRX660 - I have not replaced Task Manager with Process Explorer. Running that .exe allowed me to open up the task manager. Norton of course thought it was a virus, but I disabled it temporarily and opened it. However after closing it again, I can not reopen it without running that .exe. I suppose this means I have a virus, but I have been unable to find it and my computer shows no other signs of a virus. Any suggestions on where to go from here?

Digerati - I have already seen and tried everything in there, and it has not worked, as I know how to open task manager, my problem is not that I can't find task manager after it has been minimized, I can't open task manager to begin with so I'm not curious as to why it looks different or where the menus and tabs have gone, I can't open it so obviously it's not staying on top of all other open windows, and I've already checked all the system settings as stated in the original post, and it is not disabled there. That leaves only the possibility of a virus, which I just cannot find apparently. I feel this post insults my intelligence, maybe I'm just misinterpreting.