Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't delete Word documents

• Please log in to reply

gazza

gazza

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Greetings

I'm a new user of Office:mac 2004. I'm trying to delete some Word documents, but when I follow the usual formula: open the document and click Versions, intending to click on an Existing Version, there is nothing highlighted. No Existing Version exists.

I am just prompted to save a new version. I can delete that new version, but not the existing one. Any thoughts?

Cheers
Gazza

Advertisements

gazza

gazza

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Anyone??? :tazz:

Chronos0001

Chronos0001

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
This may strike you as odd, but Windows is a GUI ( Graphic User Interface)

You can still manipulate files using DOS commands. Write the folder the files are contained in on a peice of paper. If the Name of the folder is over 8 characters in length, you will need to abbreviate it like so: for a filename of documents you would type in dos "documen~ "

The command to get to the root directory is " cd.. "

Change directories by typing " cd filemane " where filename is the directory you want to go to.

Once in the correct directory, list the files by using the command of " dir *.* "
This will list all files. If they scroll off the screen, use " dir *.* |more " this will prompt you to strike a key to list the next set of files until the end is reached.

While in DOS mode, you can delete the files. (as long as they are not being currently used by the system)

If you want to delete all the files in that directory (be careful with this) use the command " del *.* " IN DIRECTORY WHERE YOUR WORD FILES ARE.

DO NOT DO THIS AT THE ROOT DIRECTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want to specify a type of file, modify the command to reflect that with the extension like so: del *.doc or del *.xls

be careful and good luck