Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is my build compatible

• Please log in to reply

grapestory

grapestory

• Pip
  • 5 posts
this is my first computer build planning on doing some gaming with it, check it out, all feedback is appreciated!

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

Corsair Obsidian Series 650D (CC650DW-1) Black Steel structure with black brushed aluminum faceplate ATX Mid Tower Computer ...

Western Digital Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Asus VE228H 21.5" Full HD HDMI LED BackLight LCD Monitor w/Speakers, VESA Compatible (x2)

ASUS ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5 GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video ...

SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL

ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 ...

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler

Intel 320 Series SSDSA2CW080G3K5 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

thanks (

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
A couple things. First, if you check the website for your ASUS motherboard, you should find QVLs (qualified vendors lists) for compatible CPUs and RAM. You must by a CPU from the list but there are too many RAM makers and models for ASUS to test them all, so you must buy RAM with the same specs.

Second, I don't see an operating system listed. Understand only full "boxed" Retail licenses can be transferred to new computers. It is illegal to use an OEM license that came with or was purchased for another computer on a new computer. If the disk says OEM/System Builder, Upgrade, Academic Edition, or "For Distribution with a new PC only", then it is not transferable to a new PC (or upgraded motherboard) under any circumstances. These OEM licenses are inextricably tied to the "original equipment". Therefore I recommend Windows 7 64-bit or one of the many free Linux alternatives.

Lastly, you may not be aware and for many enthusiasts it is not a concern, but it is important all readers understand that both Intel and AMD warranty their “retail” boxed versions of their CPUs that come with supplied heatsink fan assemblies as “a unit". Consequently, both Intel and AMD require the use of the supplied coolers with their CPUs and using any alternative cooling solution violates the terms of the CPU warranties. Note this IS stated in the CPU warranty booklets that come with each CPU (or can be viewed online here and here).

grapestory

grapestory

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

A couple things. First, if you check the website for your ASUS motherboard, you should find QVLs (qualified vendors lists) for compatible CPUs and RAM. You must by a CPU from the list but there are too many RAM makers and models for ASUS to test them all, so you must buy RAM with the same specs.

Second, I don't see an operating system listed. Understand only full "boxed" Retail licenses can be transferred to new computers. It is illegal to use an OEM license that came with or was purchased for another computer on a new computer. If the disk says OEM/System Builder, Upgrade, Academic Edition, or "For Distribution with a new PC only", then it is not transferable to a new PC (or upgraded motherboard) under any circumstances. These OEM licenses are inextricably tied to the "original equipment". Therefore I recommend Windows 7 64-bit or one of the many free Linux alternatives.

Lastly, you may not be aware and for many enthusiasts it is not a concern, but it is important all readers understand that both Intel and AMD warranty their “retail” boxed versions of their CPUs that come with supplied heatsink fan assemblies as “a unit". Consequently, both Intel and AMD require the use of the supplied coolers with their CPUs and using any alternative cooling solution violates the terms of the CPU warranties. Note this IS stated in the CPU warranty booklets that come with each CPU (or can be viewed online here and here).

Well i know the motherboard and my CPU are both compatible. i do need to double check my RAM but other than that. i will be buying Windows 7 OS. Even directly from Fry's or Best Buy. but i am buying all my parts off newegg.com

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

i will be buying Windows 7 OS

:) Great! If you buy the more expensive full "Retail" version, it will come with installation disks for both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 7. However, it is the same license and you are only allowed to install one version on one computer only.

If you buy an OEM/System Builders license, it only comes with 1 disk for either 32-bit OR 64-bit - so make sure you buy 64-bit.

The advantage of the full Retail license is Microsoft provides free tech support for 1 year and you can transfer that license to a new computer or upgraded motherboard in the future.

With an OEM/System Builders license, you, as the system builder must provide any technical support and it is tied to the original hardware so it is not transferable. But it is cheaper because of that.

I always buy OEM because it is likely a new version of Windows will be out by the time I build myself a new computer anyway.

Note Newegg sells Windows too.

Also, once you finalize your case, motherboard and graphics card selections, I recommend you visit their respective websites and download the user manuals for each. Then study them while you await delivery. This obviously lets you become familiar with them before hand, but also the on-line version will be the most current and likely contain any changes since the printed version was stuffed in the box.

Pay attention to the power connections, ESD precautions, and note the mounting instructions in the case and motherboard manuals. A very common newbie (and distracted pro) mistake is to insert more standoffs in the case than the motherboard has mounting holes. This typically results in a computer not booting, but in extreme cases, can result in permanent damage to the motherboard, and anything connected to it - including the CPU, RAM, and graphics card! Not good.

grapestory

grapestory

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

i will be buying Windows 7 OS

:) Great! If you buy the more expensive full "Retail" version, it will come with installation disks for both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 7. However, it is the same license and you are only allowed to install one version on one computer only.

If you buy an OEM/System Builders license, it only comes with 1 disk for either 32-bit OR 64-bit - so make sure you buy 64-bit.

The advantage of the full Retail license is Microsoft provides free tech support for 1 year and you can transfer that license to a new computer or upgraded motherboard in the future.

With an OEM/System Builders license, you, as the system builder must provide any technical support and it is tied to the original hardware so it is not transferable. But it is cheaper because of that.

I always buy OEM because it is likely a new version of Windows will be out by the time I build myself a new computer anyway.

Note Newegg sells Windows too.

Also, once you finalize your case, motherboard and graphics card selections, I recommend you visit their respective websites and download the user manuals for each. Then study them while you await delivery. This obviously lets you become familiar with them before hand, but also the on-line version will be the most current and likely contain any changes since the printed version was stuffed in the box.

Pay attention to the power connections, ESD precautions, and note the mounting instructions in the case and motherboard manuals. A very common newbie (and distracted pro) mistake is to insert more standoffs in the case than the motherboard has mounting holes. This typically results in a computer not booting, but in extreme cases, can result in permanent damage to the motherboard, and anything connected to it - including the CPU, RAM, and graphics card! Not good.

i am going to be purchasing windows 7 64 bit from newegg. and i have changed my RAM to the CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9B which is compatible with my motherboard.
and i also have checked the dimensions of my case and everything seems to be able to fit. now all i have to do is wait forever and some how make $2000 to pay for this, since in the state i live in i am too young to get a job while being a student. :(

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

now all i have to do is wait forever and some how make $2000 to pay for this,

Oh? Well if you are not buying this in the next few days, then this was all an exercise in futility as surely, much of you selected will be discontinued and/or replaced with newer models. I thought you were going to purchase all this right away.

grapestory

grapestory

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

now all i have to do is wait forever and some how make $2000 to pay for this,

Oh? Well if you are not buying this in the next few days, then this was all an exercise in futility as surely, much of you selected will be discontinued and/or replaced with newer models. I thought you were going to purchase all this right away.

oh yes, i am planning on buying this in the next 1-3 months. i have most of the money, just not all the rest. hopefully nothing will be replaced too soon :D

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

oh yes, i am planning on buying this in the next 1-3 months.

Notice I said, "next few days". While it is most likely everything on your list will still be available within the next 90 days, it is very likely there will be other, newer options. So do set these components in stone now, until ready to plop down your money. One good news is with the turmoil over the flooding in SouthEast Asia settling down, drive prices should drop over the next couple months.