Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop no longer boots.

• Please log in to reply

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Sorry, you'll have to elaborate a little more on that. I don't really know anything about hardware. How can I tell?

Edited by Sode no Shirayuki, 22 December 2011 - 07:04 PM.

Advertisements

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
I downloaded Everest from this website and installed it on my desktop.

Run Everest > Display > Windows Video > DAC Type - Integrated RAMDAC

Is this what you wanted to know?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
In other words where you plug your monitor into the back of the computer is it in a slot or is it by the mouse and keyboard?

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
It has a slot below the USB ports where the keyboard and mouse are plugged in. I think it's blue, iirc.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK that sounds like it is a add on card.
Is there one up by the keyboard, mouse, usb ports anywhere?
Have you tried a different monitor to make sure it is not a monitor problem?

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
6 USB ports with an opening for an ethernet cable

below that is the slot for the monitor

to the left of that is a white slot

-

Haven't tried another monitor. Don't really have one to try.

Edit: Maybe I could plug the monitor into my laptop and see if I still get the colored lines?

Edit 2: I'm not sure if it's relevant but the monitor has never been cleaned.

Edited by Sode no Shirayuki, 22 December 2011 - 08:17 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes you could try the laptop method. :thumbsup:

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
The colored lines do not appear on the monitor when plugged into the laptop. Though, when I opened files/folders there were horizontal flashing lines which mostly blended in with the desktop background. I can't recall those same flashing lines appearing when the monitor is connected to the desktop, though, maybe I just never noticed.

Edit: Those flashing lines disappeared after the file/folder was opened until another was opened.

Edit 2: Yeah, the flashing lines don't appear on the monitor when connected to the desktop. I guess it was because the connection was loose to the laptop or something. Anyway, it's probably nothing to worry about.

But yeah, the colored lines do not appear on the monitor when it's connected to the laptop so the issue can't be with the monitor.

Edited by Sode no Shirayuki, 22 December 2011 - 08:41 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok that would indicate either a driver or the actual video card is the issue.
Since the lines don't appear when you are in safe mode then I suspect the driver is the issue.
The other option is that there is a loose connection or dirt in the connection inside the system.
First lets check that by opening the case and checking the system for dust and reseating the video card.

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Well, I can tell by looking through the back of the computer that there is definitely some dust/dirt in there. Any tips on cleaning the computer? How do I reseat the video card? I'm not even sure where it's located, what it looks likes and if it's easily accessible after opening the casing. I'm looking through the manual on Dell's website but I don't see any section about video/graphic cards.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you get me a picture of the back of the system where the computer plugs in?
That would help me to determine the steps to reseating the card.
Also have you ever opened the case on the desktop to get inside?

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
The case has been opened before. My uncle cleaned the computer a while ago. I'll wait until he gets off work and see if he can help me reseat the video card. Do you have any tips on cleaning the computer? What to use and what not to use for instance?

Edited by Sode no Shirayuki, 23 December 2011 - 10:58 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK so below the USB ports there are slots correct?
To clean the inside out you will need a can of compressed air. They normally cost between 2 and 4 dollars a can. You can get them at Walmart, Radio Shack or any computer repair shop.
When blowing out the inside pay close attention to the fans but do not let them spin freely while blowing them out. This could damage the bearing in the fan assembly.

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Yeah, about an inch and a half below the USB ports is a blue slot where the monitor plugs in. Directly to the left of that is a white slot.

Edit:

Is there any particular can of compressed air I should get? Don't a lot of them tend to contain moisture inside of them?

Can I place the tip of my finger on one of the blades of the fan to keep it from spinning while I use the can of compressed air on it?

Is there anything I shouldn't use the can of compressed air on? Any circuit boards or something else?

Edited by Sode no Shirayuki, 23 December 2011 - 11:05 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Is there any particular can of compressed air I should get? Don't a lot of them tend to contain moisture inside of them?

Just do not turn the can upside down while spraying as that is when the moisture will come out.

Can I place the tip of my finger on one of the blades of the fan to keep it from spinning while I use the can of compressed air on it?

Yes

Is there anything I shouldn't use the can of compressed air on? Any circuit boards or something else?

Again as long as you don't turn it upside you will be ok. Spray out the power supply vents, fans, vents in the case