Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Choosing Network location on new PC - Windows7

• Please log in to reply

scratcher

scratcher

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi
Just changed PCs, which feels even better than wearing clean pants!

After turning the new PC on yesterday, it gave the prompt window to "Set Network location." As this is simply a PC at home, I chose Home Network, rather than Work or Public options.

Today loading up, the "Set Network Location" prompt window has appeared again...& now it says "Set location for "Network 2" network. (And I presume that yesterday's was simply "Network" or "Network 1."

Can anyone confirm whether I should simply be on Home, or Public - as there's a warning message on a link that seemed to indicate to choose Public?

And also confirm why it's now saying "Network 2"?

Again, this is simply a Home PC to be used at home.

I'm checking through the Control Panel now as I think it gives options on how to change Networks, should I have chosen the wrong one. I will wait for advice first.

Thanks

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Never had that happen. Go down to your taskbar, right click the network icon, and click open the "Network and Sharing Center". It should show you your connection to the network. Something like my computer------modem or router--------internet. Now go over to the left hand column and click on "manage network connections". There you will see the LAN connections you have at your house. You really only need one if you are using a ISP supplied modem, but you may also have a wireless LAN connection if your computer is capable of wireless or you have wireless router. If you have more than one connection then someone has added another connection to the computer.

If you had set your internet connection for single user use then you must have a different connection for other users on the computer. Most connections are set for all users. You can check that in the network & sharing center.

I would never have any connection to the internet on a public connection. This will let anyone that can connect to your network have access to the files on your computer. They can make changes to your computer without you knowing. Always pick home network.

You may have a outsider that is trying to connect to your network to take over your computer.

You can usually ask your ISP why you keep getting a "connect to the internet" popup, and they will go thru your connection setting to see if something is set wrong.

SRX660

scratcher

scratcher

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks alot for your reply SRX660

I went into the NetworkSharing Centre, & as you say found the "my computer-------Network-----internet" connection diagram.
There was no "manage network connections" in the LH column, just a "change adapter settings" & "change advanced sharing settings".
Clicking on the "adapter settings" it shows 1 Local Area Connection Network.
Clicking on the "change advanced sharing settings", it shows a window for "Change sharing options for different network profiles". (& windows creates a separate network profile for each network you use. You can choose specific options for each profile). Underneath it shows:
Home or Work (current profile),
Public ...with dropdown menus to the right of each, showing options for network discovery, printer/public folder sharing etc.

thanks