Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why is my Windows Vista basic laptop so slow?

• Please log in to reply

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
?? What is anti freeze?

You are running Spybot Search & Destroy with Teatimer active. Please either disable Teatimer or uninstall Spybot (my recommendation).

Using Codestuff, disable the following Startup items:

Adobe ARM
Adobe Reader Speed Launcher
TkBellExe
RealNetworks Scheduler
WMPNSCFG

Set the following services to manual. They will start if needed but will not start automatically at boot time.

eDataSecurity Service
ePerformance Service
eRecovery Service
LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service

I also see this running, do you know what it is?

Starter.exe 3804 11,837,440 C:\Users\Public\Starter\Starter.exe

From what I can find it's part of Creative Labs Ensoniq Mixer. Do you use this or have it installed?

... more latere

Advertisements

chipper1

chipper1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Thanks so much,

Antifreeeze is something on that link you sent me to download.

I have no clue what that programe is at all Starter.exe 3804 11,837,440 C:\Users\Public\Starter\Starter.exe ?? So will uninstall it now.

Do you think this may solve the problem I am having doing all those things you have said?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Can you provide me with the link that has anti freeze on it? It's noting I want you to download but I'm curious where it is as I've never heard of it before.

As for fixing the problem, I don't know. All I'm trying to do at this point is disable things that are not needed and see if it makes a difference. Spybot is one I think may be a possible cause but again, I don't know and won't until you disable them and run for awhile without freezing.

Fixing problems like this is usually a process of elimination.

chipper1

chipper1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Can you provide me with the link that has anti freeze on it? It's noting I want you to download but I'm curious where it is as I've never heard of it before.

As for fixing the problem, I don't know. All I'm trying to do at this point is disable things that are not needed and see if it makes a difference. Spybot is one I think may be a possible cause but again, I don't know and won't until you disable them and run for awhile without freezing.

Fixing problems like this is usually a process of elimination.

Thank you,

RealNetworks Scheduler I can not find but did all the others. I also can not find spybot under uninstall???

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Spybot shows as running in the Processes section. See if it's listed under Start / All Programs. If so, see if there is a Uninstall selection.

Are there any RealNetworks (or Real anything) showing in the Startup section of Codestuff? If so, disable it/them.

chipper1

chipper1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Spybot shows as running in the Processes section. See if it's listed under Start / All Programs. If so, see if there is a Uninstall selection.

Are there any RealNetworks (or Real anything) showing in the Startup section of Codestuff? If so, disable it/them.

Spybot is not there either...?? Can not find it anywhere??? OK I have found it under a diffrent user...

There is nothing real in he Startup section of Codestuff at all, the only others that are left ticked now are MSC and Antifreeze that I have just installed.

Edited by chipper1, 28 December 2011 - 06:28 PM.

chipper1

chipper1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Found spybot under a different user but there is no unistall on this user and no where to uninstall it either?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I asked you not to install Antifreeze and to give me a link where you said I pointed you to. I've never heard of it.

chipper1

chipper1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

I asked you not to install Antifreeze and to give me a link where you said I pointed you to. I've never heard of it.

Sorry I cantr find it now, but its next to the link you gave me for the whocrashed.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
OK, I see it now, under Security Tools. Please uninstall it.

Also, did you do a scan with Microsoft Security Essentials as I asked you to do?

Advertisements

chipper1

chipper1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

OK, I see it now, under Security Tools. Please uninstall it.

Also, did you do a scan with Microsoft Security Essentials as I asked you to do?

Well i installed it as im tired of it freezing and all i can do is turn it off at the wall. Yes i ran a full scan on mse two days ago.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
OK, maybe it will help but I think the freeze you are seeing is the computer being totally dead, not just non-responsive. It will be interesting to see what happens if it freezes again and you try Antifreeze.

AntiFreeze 1.01
Emergency task manager for unresponsive and hanging systems
for Windows 7/Vista/XP/2003 (x86 and x64)

chipper1

chipper1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
So what is the next step?

I still cant figure out how to uninstall spybot I have it in a file folder on a guest user but its not in the adminstrator anywhere?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Use msconfig:

This is a good tutorials on using msconfig in XP: How to use msconfig in Windows XP

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab then uncheck anything that is Spybot related.

Click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box.
Double click on anything Spybot related. Set Startup type to disabled then click the Stop button.

Click Apply then OK and reboot.

You will get a message on reboot about using the System Configuration Utility. See here for how to prevent it from displaying in the future: How do I get rid of this msconfig startup error after making changes?

chipper1

chipper1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
OK I have done that and spybot was there and I unchecked it. I have not rebooted yet. What will happen when I do? When you say reboot do you mean restart? Are you in the US by the way?

Edited by chipper1, 28 December 2011 - 09:17 PM.