Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why is my Windows Vista basic laptop so slow?

• Please log in to reply

chipper1

chipper1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Also why do you think in safe mode I can no longer use the mouse or the Keyboard?

Advertisements

Faizan Ern Prince

Faizan Ern Prince

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Just wondering why my WIndows Vista Laptop is so slow its almost impossible to use? and how I can speed it up?

Go to Start - Computer - Right Click Local Disk - Scroll To Properties - Click Disk Cleanup - Delete Temporary Files

or

Go to Start - Computer - Right Click Local Disk - Scroll To Properties - Click the tools tab at the top of window - Click Defragment Now...

Also I have a Windows Vista Acer PC and for some reason the Mouse/keyboard does not work in any of the safemodes?

Try using the mouse/keyboard on your laptop and see if they work.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Faizan Ern Prince, 29 December 2011 - 06:58 AM.

chipper1

chipper1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Well my PC is still crashing and still doing the same thing, well it is freezing and have to turn it off at the wall and then every hour or two turn it back on and it doesnt come on, just beeps. Sometimes saying Collecting pool data, then hours later it will turn back on again and work. Really getting so frustrating.

chipper1

chipper1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Just wondering why my WIndows Vista Laptop is so slow its almost impossible to use? and how I can speed it up?

Go to Start - Computer - Right Click Local Disk - Scroll To Properties - Click Disk Cleanup - Delete Temporary Files

or

Go to Start - Computer - Right Click Local Disk - Scroll To Properties - Click the tools tab at the top of window - Click Defragment Now...

Also I have a Windows Vista Acer PC and for some reason the Mouse/keyboard does not work in any of the safemodes?

Try using the mouse/keyboard on your laptop and see if they work.

Hope this helps.

OK I have done all those things but it is still slower than a concrete pillar.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Important: Please make sure you have backed up any data you do not want to lose before you do anything else.

Let's check to see if your hard drive is running in PIO mode instead of DMA mode (only useful if you have PATA/IDE drive and not SATA).

Open Device Manager by right clicking on My Computer and selecting Properties. Click on the Hardware tab then click on the Device Manager button.

In Device Manager, expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Right click on the Primary IDE channel, click Properties, then the Advanced Settings tab.

Current Transfer Mode will be listed there for any device connected to the channel.

Repeat for Secondary IDE channel.

If any are running in PIO mode, select DMA if available from the Transfer Mode drop down selection box. Click OK then close out the remaining windows.

Reboot and see if that makes any difference.

If not, check the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic tools.

Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.
Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics1

If not, you are going to have to take it into a reputable repair shop and have them check it out. It sounds like there may be a hardware problem. Could be a hard drive, memory or even motherboard.

chipper1

chipper1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
There were two IDEs and the first was was DMA enabled already, the second one didnt have anything like that I could click on. There was a standard dual channel PCIDE controller under the second IDE Channel.

chipper1

chipper1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
I took it to a local PC repair shop and they kept it for a few days and then told me there was nothing wrong with it and they played movies etc in it and nothing went wrong, they cleaned the fans too. Then the second I got it home it crashed again!!!! Ahhh dont know what else to do??

chipper1

chipper1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Download Drive Fitness Test Windows Diskette Creator v4.16 b00 (10.07.2009)

OK I am trying this now.

chipper1

chipper1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
It said it was unable to install it???

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You want this one for your drive, WDC WD800BEVS-07RST0: Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows

It's a zip file. You need to unzip it before install it.
Right click on it and select Extract All.

Advertisements

chipper1

chipper1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Unit Serial Number: 
Firmware Number: 1.02
Capacity: 0.00 GB
SMART Status: Not Available
Test Result: PASS
Test Time: 02:25:14, December 30, 2011

Test Option: QUICK TEST
Model Number: Generic USB SM Reader
Unit Serial Number: 
Firmware Number: 1.02
Capacity: 0.00 GB
Test Time: 02:25:39, December 30, 2011

chipper1

chipper1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Well I ran it again and this time I ran it properly and it caused the PC to crash and still can not get the PC on. The screen went all a grey colour, kind of lots of grey lines. I am using the lap top now as the PC wont turn on now. It started to scan for problems and after about 2 mins the PC crashed. What should I do now?

chipper1

chipper1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Test Option: EXTENDED TEST
Model Number: ST316081 2AS
Unit Serial Number:
Firmware Number: 3.AA
Capacity: 160.04 GB
Test Time: 05:06:22, December 30, 2011

Test Option: QUICK TEST
Model Number: ST316081 2AS
Unit Serial Number:
Firmware Number: 3.AA
Capacity: 160.04 GB
Test Time: 05:08:09, December 30, 2011

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Do you have recovery discs for the computer, either from the manufacturer or ones you created? If not is there a recovery partition on the hard drive?

Make sure you have backed up any data you want to keep then try restoring your computer to it's factory new state. See if that resolves the problem. If not then it has to be some kind of a hardware problem.

Your User's Guide should tell you how to use it.

chipper1

chipper1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Here is your problem:

Slot 'M1' is Empty
Slot 'M2' has 512 MB

You have a total of 512MB of memory. That was barely sufficient for XP, it is not even borderline useful for Vista. You need to increase the memory to 2GB and you will see a huge difference in performance.

Are you in the UK? If so, this site, MrMemory, has 1GB modules for £21.40 (£25.68 inc. VAT). I'm sure there are many other sites that you can buy from as well.

Buy two. They are easy to install. I can't find a web site for your MiTak but if you have the users guide it should tell you how to replace the memory.

OK the memory stick has arrived, how do I install it now?