Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Attempt to clean temp.I-net files flashes error msg: "C:\WIND

• Please log in to reply

Donna_Lee

Donna_Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi, Actually I did run that prog. from the link you provided....if I should have taken ANOTHER print screen from
that link, please specify which one, so that I don't inadvertently do something I shouldn't.

I am now attempting to follow through with the instructions on the windows memory diagnostics that you also sent
the link to, so I will keep checking this site for any more info from you.....thanks, Donna_Lee

This is added on---in order to check the memory problems w/windows, I have to close
this program....I will do that now, and log back on after I do this....hope
this is helpful!

Edited by Donna_Lee, 25 December 2011 - 05:52 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
HWMonitor http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html
An example screenshot of what I require below;
It is way past midnight here in the UK so I am going offline now for a few hours but will check back later to see how you are getting on.

Donna_Lee

Donna_Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi, Phillpower2! Its about 7:37 PM here, and I've been on the computer for many hours....I need a break,
so will have to stop for now. I really tried to get the diagnostic information from that site that you provided
a link to, and then it referred me to certain files on my own computer, but, I wasn't able to figure out how to
get that info so that I could print screen it, then upload it to you. I really did try, & wrote down all of the steps, but was NOT able..not sure that MY computer has that info..... Sorry about that. Type to you tomorrow, hope. Thx, Donna_Lee

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

I really tried to get the diagnostic information from that site that you provided

No worries there may be a reason why so lets see if I can walk you through it.
Go to the link http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html half way down the page to the right click on the option 1.18 32-bit English then click on the download box in the centre of the screen, for additional information read the Install and Configuration tab to the left of the first page, good luck.

Donna_Lee

Donna_Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi Phillpower2, Well, I did download the HW Monitor, and this is what I got...After it went to my downloads box,
I double clicked on it and got a screen that showed an Icon of a computer screen titled "HW Monitor". When I double-clicked on it, it offered 'run file', which I clicked on. Then I only get ANOTHER Icon that says my last
name. I get nothing by double-clicking on that. Sorry it didn't work for me/you. Donna_Lee
***********************************************************************************
(this is PS) The link in the site you sent me to was: "The CPUID system monitoring
development kit"....when I click on it, I'm getting a page that says: URL not found.
The screen shot that I sent you yesterday, which you told me to stay away from, is a site that is integral to the above site, but in parentheses it says
(RegCleanPro) I tried a few times to get you the screen shot from that website,
but it, somehow, kept reverting to the (RegCleanPro) (have you checked that site
lately? Perhaps it has changed)

Edited by Donna_Lee, 26 December 2011 - 12:35 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
No idea whats happening eith the HWMonitor, the example screenshot I sent you was from yesterday, nevermind some work for you to do, see my canned speech for tidying up your HDD;

My first suggestion is to tidy up the data on your HDD so please follow the directions provided below starting with Autoruns http://technet.micro...ernals/bb963902

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
5: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
6: Attach to your next reply.

2nd: Download and run TFC from http://www.geekstogo...ds&showfile=187 your computer should automatically re-boot on completion but if not do it manually.

3rd: Defrag your HDD http://www.auslogics...re/disk-defrag/ do this at least once a week in the future, a tidy drive is a faster drive, please note that I am not suggesting that you use any other product or service here.
Couple of other things to consider are what size HDD do you have and how much free storage space is available, you should always have between 12 and 15% of the overall capacity available, do not have more than 1 AV program running as it causes slowness as the programs fight for control of system resources, this can lead to instability and/or crashes.
What AV do you use, some use a lot more system resources than others Norton and AVG are excellent but very demanding.

Donna_Lee

Donna_Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi Phillpower2,
I could follow the steps for item #1, but not sure that I did everything right. But, I don't see a browse button
on this reply box?! Also, I'm using Avast AV, the free version...used to use Norton, but it really slowed me down!
Also, I paid for it yearly. I don't go to dangerous sites knowingly...(who does?) so I'm not too persnickity
about my AV.

PS Yes! I did perform steps numbers 2 and 3....The TFC, and the computer DID
reboot on its own, and the Defrag. did work, but it didn't reboot on its own,
so I turned it off, then on again. Thanks, Donna_Lee

I just tried to click on the disk cleanup button again, and I again got the red X
with the error msg, the topic for my original problem. Its still not fixed, but
with the TFC and HDD links, doesn't this perform the same tasks? Thanks again.

Attached Files

• Attached File  Eula.txt   6.84KB   137 downloads

Edited by Donna_Lee, 26 December 2011 - 04:15 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
For some reason you do not seem able to download the screenshots that are required for us to be able to guide you as we would like :confused:

Oh, when I tried to get the specs of my computer I also got this msg: "(RED X): The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\System 32\wbem\wbemcomn. dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette"

Also, yes, I do have all of the original CD's that came with my computer---purchased it new from Dell.

Xp is up to Sp3 so if your disk is the original basic Xp it will be missing Sp1 - 2 and 3 so it may not help, don`t worry though there is a solution to this if need be, please try running PCPitstop for us but take the time to read and understand the directions first;

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com

Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop instructions :thumbsup:

Donna_Lee

Donna_Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi, Phillpower2!
I will not be able to do this right away because I have to be away from computer, but as soon as I can I will
do this....you really know your way around a computer! Thanks for your help again. Donna_Lee

PS When I turned it on to check my emails, it is definitely running faster already! Happy me!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi Donna_Lee
Thank you for the update I am happy that you are pleased with the improved PC performance :D :yes:
We will continue when you are able.

Advertisements

Donna_Lee

Donna_Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
O.K. Hi, Phillpower2----I did run the pit stop OverDrive in IE. I think I can copy/paste the URL, so here goes:

http://www.pcpitstop...conid=24719550.

(Sorry I couldn't spend much time working on this today, but had to care for some necessary matters.) Here, it
is 7:52P.M, and it seems as though your time is 5 hours later than here, so, its prob. around 1:00 AM for you...)

I'll just leave this alone until tomorrow when you give me the verdict resulting from the testing. The graphics
were amazing & interesting....didn't bother me, but in someone sensitive, I could understand that it would.

Thank you, Donna_Lee

PS. I usu can't get on here till around 10:00 AM, which there, it would be 3:00PM. (Yeah, a lot of time is
wasted sleeping, and eating, and drinking coffee!)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi Donna_Lee
Got the results thanks :thumbsup:
There are a few things you can do to improve your systems performance further and once done if the initial error message is still present we can address that.
I noticed when I checked the software tab at the url that you have downloaded Utorrents! please remove this from your PC a.s.a.p as by using it you are leaving yourself open to malware attack as torrents are an area where cyber criminals lurk, once you have done this return to your PCPitstop report and work on the fixes there, if you hover your cursor over an item that has a red X along side it you will be given a description of what the issue is, if you click on the actual item you will be given instructions as to how to fix the issue, I would however recommend not updating the video and sound drivers if you are happy with the present ones (if it ain`t broke don`t fix it).
Once the above is done we can tidy up and update some of your software.

NB: Yep, the time zone is a nuisance but we can manage <_<

Donna_Lee

Donna_Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hello, again, Phillpower2!
Well I did follow the recommended PCPitstop free fixes, and most everything went well, until I got to the Drivers.
I could not update display adapter Driver (I know that you recommended NOT to anyway, but I HAVE lost my sound on
occasion (never knew why/could have been a fluke), so I did download the file, and tried to run it, and I kept
getting error msg. "(Red 'X') The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\System32\wbem\wbemcomn.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette." Then I'd push OK, and get (! Registry: Unable to open StdRegProv, Generic failure" Then I'd push OK again, and get (! Registry: Read error:-2146823281 this.SRP.methods_is null or not an object. Get string Value hive='HKLM' key=software\PC,Pitstop\driveralert."

This is ALL MUD to me. Maybe it is to you, too. Anyway, Long story short (too late?) the next-to-the last and
the last fixes I did not complete, because of the problem I encountered. YOU WERE RIGHT, I shouldn't
have even tried (not broke, don't fix it) My husband always says: Leave it alone. It may fix itself! (At rare
times, it really does)

I did remove the Utorrents program. Sometimes programs are put on here by one or the other of my daughters when
they visit.
So, evidently, I STILL have the problem of being unable to clean up my temp. I-net files, but do you think I can
use a different program to perform that task? or not? Because I know that its something that MUST be done on
regular basis. Well, please don't give up on this...and, if can be circumvented, let's do that.
Thank you again, Phillpower2, Donna_Lee

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi Donna_Lee
Having read your last post do you still have sound?

So, evidently, I STILL have the problem of being unable to clean up my temp. I-net files, but do you think I can use a different program to perform that task? or not?

You can now try flushing the DNS cache which doesn`t take long "how to" below;

1.Press Windows+R to bring up the Run dialog box.
2.Type cmd and then ok.
3.In the command prompt that comes up type in ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.

Done, let us know how this goes.

Donna_Lee

Donna_Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi, Phillpower2: Sorry to have to make a long story long again, but I have to explain what I did.
When I got into the black screen that says: 'MS windows XP Ver: 5.1.2600,
(then) C:\Documents and Settings\Dona>" The cursor was blinking AFTER the > (cursor)
I wanted to begin typing @ the LEFT side of page, so I pressed 'enter' BEFORE typing anything, and it automatically
printed the ABOVE a SECOND time (Beginning w/C:\Documents etc.) I tried to get it to 'backspace' (to delete the
2nd printing of above), but it wouldn't delete it.

At that time, I typed the ipconfig etc. and got this: Windows IP configuration Successfully flushed the DNS
Resolver Cache. C:\Documents and Settings\Donna>,

Hope I didn't flub it up by pressing enter so I could type on a new line!
Yes, I do have sound, but remember before, when I had to backtrack when I was slashing what I believed 'unnecessary'
programs, and I LOST sound----Now I know that the NVIDIA Drivers mean 'sound', and I restored it. Donna_Lee

Again, sorry for all of the superfluous reading of problems I've encountered, but want to make sure I give you
complete information. Also, I did attempt to clean up my temp. I-net files, but got the error msg.