Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new cuilt computer shuts off after 4 secs

• Please log in to reply

sgome31

sgome31

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
i have a computer that i replaced the cpu,motherboard,and the ram, with all new components. after i hook up everything, and i press the power button, the computer trys to turn on but then shuts off after 5 secs. all the lights and fans start to operate and it turns off.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Did you try the new components outside of the case first and if so did they work correctly?
If you didn`t do a barebones set-up as described below;

To do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
You will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding a component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.
Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason, make sure the jumper cap that can be used for clearing the CMOS is not missing or on the wrong pins.

sgome31

sgome31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
so i figured out that that it was the cpu so i changed the cpu and the mother board for new ones. what do i do so i can reboot into my existing OS because i can boot up into safe mode but not regular mode.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Your new MB should have been bundled with a drivers disk, boot into Safe Mode and install the Chipset drivers etc from the disk then reboot.

Just a cautionary note, unless your OS disk is the full retail edition you cannot use it with a new MB as an OEM disk is tied to the original MB it was paired with, to use an OEM disk with a new MB is software piracy and therefore illegal.
Exceptions to the above are 1: If your MB is replaced under warranty and 2: If your MB is replaced out of warranty with an alternative type but same brand due to the original model no longer being available, an upgraded MB however will require the purchase of a new OS licence.

sgome31

sgome31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I finally was able to get my os system on there and everything was working fine. Then I kept getting a blue screen that looked my computer. I found out that the issue had to do something with the video card software so I did all the updates on the drivers and did the ATI catalyst software update. It fixed it. Now my computer will shut off randomly sometimes when I'm working other times when I leave it alone. I believe that it could have something to do with the power supply since it is the original one and everything else inside is brand new. Any other suggestions?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Is this the same PSU that was mentioned @ http://www.geekstogo...89#entry2058689
If it is you are playing Russian Roulette as it could blow at any time.