Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virus/malware messing up my Win Firewall, DVD drive and printers [Solv

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

myrti

myrti

Expert

• Expert
  • 2,580 posts
Hi Jaime,

no worries, I can understand the need to see if it lasts.

We often see these intermittent problems and they are hard to track because they are intermittant. If you get a clean report you don't know if there's nothign to see because the problem is elsewhere or because the problem was just not happening at the time.

The Anti Virus Program is always somewhat of a natural suspect, because if anyone has taken a hit from the malware, it surely is the protective software that was either killed off or fooled into not seeing the infection. I would think that in general reinstalling your anti virus program after cleaning off an infection is not wrong.

Let me know if you find anything to be out of order again in the next couple of days.

regards myrti

Advertisements

JHGR

JHGR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi Myrti:

Everything works ok, except for the DVD drive. I just became aware of something strange: it won't autoplay any media inserted nor CDs, not DVDs. Also, it will not read music CDs, nor software/driver installer CDs or DVDs. Alhough it reads (without autoplay) data CDs/DVDs like the ones I burned with backup info... I still have not tested the burning fuction. So, how can this happen? Would this be a malware?

Thanks once more...

Regards,

JAIME

myrti

myrti

Expert

• Expert
  • 2,580 posts
Hi Jaime,

sorry for the delay, this week-end was uber-busy.

This doesn't sound like malware, no. However it sounds like something the malware may have tampered with and broken. Do you know what the make of your DVD drive is?

regards myrti

JHGR

JHGR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks Myrti:

The drives properties indicates it is a MATSUSHITA UJDA755z DVD/CDRW. Should reinstall the device driver?

Regards,

JAIME

myrti

myrti

Expert

• Expert
  • 2,580 posts
Hi,

yes that would be a good idea.

regards myrti

JHGR

JHGR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi, Myrti:

I have had a tough time trying to update the DVD unit driver...

As my laptop is an IBM/Lenovo T60, I found at www.thinkwiki.org that there was a firmware update for my UDJA755z unit. The process requires that I download an ISO file, then burn it on a CD, and then boot the laptop from that CD and follow instructions.

As the DVD drive works for some kinds of media and for some others not, It will not recognize a blank CD and I couldn't burn the firmware update CD. I had to do that on another PC. Then I tried to boot from that CD with no success. I entered the BIOS and changed the boot order, as well as trying with F12 to select the boot device...

So, currently I am stuck in this step... Could you suggest something else? Is there any tool to check the drive's hardware/performance? Maybe couold I copy the firmware update to a USB Memory and boot from there?

Thanks for your advice,

Regards,

JAIME

myrti

myrti

Expert

• Expert
  • 2,580 posts
Hi,

sorry for the delay. I had a family emergency this week-end. :( It's looking better now though, luckily. :)

Regarding your problem, I'm not quite sure I understand: You can't change the boot menu? What happens when you press F12? Or is it "just" not recognizing the CD-drve?

regards myrti

JHGR

JHGR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi Myrti,

No worries, hope everything is fine with your family matters. First things first!

My problem with the DVD Drive is that it just reads data burned CDs and DVDs. But for music, movies or programs (such as installers), it will not recognize them. That's why I think again of some sort of malware. As of this, I cannot get the laptop to boot from the CD I burned with the drive's firmware update, no matter if I press F12 or get into the BIOS and force boot order to begin with the DVD drive...

THat's why I was asking if I can get the firmware to a bootable usb flash memory and try to boot and update the DVD drive's firmware from there.

Finally, could this be a hardware problem?

Thanks!

JAIME

myrti

myrti

Expert

• Expert
  • 2,580 posts
Hi,

thanks for the clarification, I wasn't sure whether you'd been unable to enter BIOS or whether it had not recognised the CD drive as bootable. The symptoms you describe do not sound like malware. I would suggest you create a new thread for this specific problem in the tech-forums and have the tech staff look at it, they are more proficient in this area than I am.

regards myrti

JHGR

JHGR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi Myrti,

Very clear. So, up to date, my computer has been behaving very well. No more "no firewall turned on" messages, and printers/scanner working ok. I think the malware issue has been resolved, and now maybe this DVD drive is hardware thing. I will open another thread as instructed.

Therefore, lets consider this to be the end of this discussion. Your help has been invaluable, thank you very much for your patience and time.

Best regards from Colombia,

JAIME GUERRERO

Advertisements

myrti

myrti

Expert

• Expert
  • 2,580 posts
Hi,

thanks for the compliments! Good luck with your DVD-drive!

best regards to Colombia from Europe :)

regards myrti

myrti

myrti

Expert

• Expert
  • 2,580 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.